No hot water

Graham You really should have more respect for the Law, you have ignored the vey good advice from every one that has advised you I definately would not want you as one of my customers!!

I suggest you read Building Regulation G3 and take note of the content :eek:

Sponsored Links
@ Boilerman2

As a law-abiding citizen I was about to go and hand myself in at the local “nick” but was not certain that they would take my confession seriously. So, as you suggest, I have taken a look at the G3 building regs. As far as I can see they only refer to the design and INSTALLATION of unvented systems. Though clearly concerned with the correctly fitted temperature and pressure release valves there appears to be no mention of electrics or tank stats or motorised valves. Nor, indeed, any mention of routine maintenance. If I am wrong on this please refer me to the relevant wording.

Your colleagues on this thread three years ago //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37360&highlight= which resulted in my doing exactly the same thing as I have done this time (replace a zone valve power head) did not seem to be preoccupied with the fact that it was on an u/v tank.

In October, when I next get my boiler serviced by my regular Corgi plumber who knows our whole system intimately, I will ask him to check the whole system including the safety valves on the tank as they are now 21 years old and have never been “tripped” in the last 12 since we have lived here.

I am as concerned for safety as you are but am interested to note the comment of gas4you:

I think everyone is assuming you have an unvented cylinder such as a megaflo with a built in cyl stat.

I thought, maybe wrongly, from your description in your post, that you have a very old unvented cylinder, i.e. something like a copper cylinder, that has a standard Honeywell cylinder stat strapped to the outside, as a normal vented cylinder has, therefore the G3 regs have nothing whatsosever to do with you fitting a new cyl stat

So does G3 apply to me or not?

And, although it is now all academic, I still await comments on whether it is easier or more efficient to test the continuity of a tank stat circuit with a multimeter or a mains tester.

Thanks for all your comments.

Regards
Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back