no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved in and have a single lever mixer tap in the bathroom. When I turn it to hot no water comes out. There is an electric shower in the room that needs hot water to work and this is fine. I dont have a combi boiler and was told that single lever mixer taps need the mains pressure to work. Is that correct or could it be an airlock??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
There is an electric shower in the room that needs hot water to work and this is fine.
Are you sure ? Does this heat the water or just pump it ? Anyway, have you got hot water to the rest of the house ? Is it only this tap that doesn't give hot water ? and does it give cold ?
Presumably you have a hot water storage cylinder upstairs and a cold water storage tank in the loft ? If so, the tap should work. Check that the hot water pipe to the tap hasn't got its service valve closed (under the sink), then come back with some of the above.

Hi
I checked and the shower does need a hot water supply!!!

The hot water works fine in the rest of the house and has decent pressure as well.

The tap does have cold water and I checked the service valve which is open!!

I'm a bit baffled any help is much appricated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Well it seems there are just 2 options then;
1. No hot water supply to tap.
2. Tap not working.
Time to disconnect the hot water supply from the tap and verify that you do have a supply to the tap. Either way, this will tell you whats at fault.

I heard a air lock could cause this?? It would be bad if there was no hot water as it is a finished bathroom.

Thanks for the help

Its possible it could be an air lock.... One way to clear air locks is to blow mains pressure cold water into the hot water tap for a few seconds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back