No lights working - fusing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was walking around in the loft today and the lights in the house tripped. I can see that the white 5a fuse had tripped so I tried to move it to the on position but when I did these a spark came from the fuse and all the electric went off. I think it has the RCD that tripped. Moved the RDC back to the on position and everything works again expet the lights. Everytime on try and move the lights fuse back to 'on' it trips the RCD.

I have checked the loft for damaged cables but can not find any, not sure if it was just a coincidence I was in the loft. Any ideas of things I could check? or am I just going to have to get a professional in?

Sponsored Links
Its clear that from the behaviour of the protective devices when you try and reset them that you have got a live to earth fault somewhere, now it could be a co-incidence that you were in the loft, but i'd put 50p on it not being so?

Is your loft boarded?, sometimes loft boards are just thrown in and if you get one thats trapping a cable between a joint and itself, eventually it'll damage the cable after being walked over a good few times and go bang

I was walking around in the loft today

It sounds like you have a L-E short-circuit.
Did you tread on a junction box? Or maybe disturb a cable that was loose in a ceiling rose or junction box?

Not unheard of to find lives or earths twisted together unenclosed on old lighting circuits either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back