No TV picture, is that due to an arial or digi-box failure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Using freeview, my TV picture suddenly froze, I tried other channels but found no reception. I attempted to retune my digi-box but it said no channels detected, check arial. The reception here is good so my ariel is inside the roof, so I doubted that was the problem, so I tried an indoor ariel and that gave the same result, ie check ariel. However, while the digi-box is searching, at 54%, 62%, 66%, 70% and 80% of the search it registers between 80 to 95% for signal strength and between 95 to 100% signal quality. Does this indicate that the there is a signal there and that actually the digi-box is faulty?

I think that I have noticed before that it does not pick up any signal until after 50% of the search is complete.

Sponsored Links
Rather than just retuning, try a "first time" install. This will wipe the memory of the existing channels. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks but I was only able to do an auto tune or manual tune.

However, I bit the bullet and bought a new Nikkai from Maplin and I now have a TV picture that appears brighter and clearer than the old Philips unit, so it must have been faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back