noise & interference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Stelrad/Ideal W2000 (RS60) boiler, works just fine, but when the system shuts off the gas to the boiler on each cycle, I hear a loud hissing sound followed by a click. It just so happens that this coincides with interference whilst using my phone line. I have an idea what might be the cause, but don`t want to go and buy the new part only to find that I am totally wrong.
Any advice from an expert, would be grateful. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
haven't got a clue on this one :oops:

Perhaps your boiler is trying to 'phone 'boiler heaven' to say i'm at the end of my time, open the gates I'll be up soon :LOL:

Yes ,again ,thanks.
Hope I get more response.
The problem as I see it, is the boiler has no faults, No leaks or what ever. But some other control is not a very happy BUNNY. Therefore I wont pay out for some rip off cowboy to make a KILLING for the sake of my noise complaint. Somebody out there must have had the same problem some time, or am I just unique ?
Thanks for your reply.

All I know that is all electrical appliances have some form of noise suppression device fitted to the to stop interference, similar to old cars that used to interfere with tv pictures years ago (showing my age here!)

I can only suggest that an electrical component is breaking down and without being there it would be near on impossible to tell but would go for the solenoid on the gas valve:cry:

Sponsored Links
you can get a suppression kit for most old boilers. the one that fits the baxi back boilers would probably fit yours as well, although i cant remember which gas valve your boiler has. shouldnt really matter all it is is a capacitor.

Thanks for your advice so far, but I might just have it diagnosed now. I disconnected the thermal control electric supply and gave the solenoid its own direct power. Manually switched the system back on, powered up and heated the boiler for a very short while, switched off again. sounds and operates just fine. Therefore, concluded that thermal control is the culprit. Also, noted that I can make the hissing sound last longer if I play around with the dial as the sound starts. I am buying a new suppressor for extra insurance. If all goes to plan, I`ll report back in a couple of days. Can`t wait for my spare parts to arrive.

Put the new boiler thermostat in, now works like a dream. It`s a shame I didn`t get the advice I needed from this web site. Never mind - I might be lucky another time. Having said that, I don`t want anything to go wrong again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back