Noisey Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Potterton Puma 80 boiler and just lately the pilot light has started to go out when the hot water is switched on. The hot water arrives at the taps but when the tap is switched off the boiler makes a sound as if it has boiled dry and then the pilot light usually goes out.

The boiler was recently serviced and this problem occurs weather or not the central heating is on or not. The central heating works OK.

Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

Brum.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your hot water flow switch may be sticking on.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you explain the function of the water flow switch and why it would cause the pilot light to go out?

Brum.

Hi,

I checked the hot water flow switch and found that when the hot water tap is switched on the microswitch operates straight away, however, when it is switched off again the microswitch can take up to 15 seconds click off.

I am assuming that the microswitch should operate immediately in both cases, would this be correct?

Regards Chimbley

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Can't tell yet weather or not its the microswitch or pin mechanism but will check this shortly. Suspect though that it would be easier to change the entire assembly.

Regards Brummie.

Its easiest to change the entire assembly.

Although we have these in stock, I have always managed to sort them out without changing them thus saving the £48 cost for the customer.

Tony

Changed the entire assembly and transfered the old uswitch and now all is working fine.

Many thanks for everyones help.

Regards Brum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back