Noisey CH - concerned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I live in Ashford, Kent. I would say we get a lot of chalk in the water. I have a Potterton boiler, which is gas CH & HW, with new circuit board (because that went).

CH works ok as does HW. However, this year we have noticed that the CH has become increasingly noisey. The boiler is in the garage, but the hotwater tank and a black thing which I assume is the pump (with three speeds on it) is in the airing cupboard upstairs.

When the CH kicks in either on timer or on demand, the system sounds likes it coming to boil more so from the tank and pipes leading to the HW tank. The noise can be heard through the plasterboard walls. Not a knocking sound, more as if the kettle is boiling!! I had the system serviced 2.5 years ago. I bleed the radiators periodically, with one which just doesnt get warm but has water in it (when I bleed it it just "****es" cool water -ground floor rear room), and one which gets a build up of air and gurgles and bubbles a bit (top floor front room). Clear water coming out of the rads.

There has always been an underlying v.quite sound, but this year is considerably worse.

Any ideas please?. I am guess heating engineer (I know a good one), drain the system and fernox it or some other cleaner? Doent sound too healthy.

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back