Noisy Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating boiler has started to make loud banging sounds and doesn't stay on for very long. Also the feed and expansion tank is steaming hot and very hot water is coming out of the expansion pipe. The feed pipe is also very hot. I have drained it down and added Sentinel X400 sludge remover but because it is still very noisy I am too worried to run the boiler. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Is the domestic C.H pump conected to an indoor swimming pool, if so this may put the boiler under considerable strain.

Yes the pump is working and I don't have an indoor swimming pool.
The system has been working ok for the last 20 years. I have been away for just over a week but the heating was on a low setting during that period. It has been playing up since I got back.
Is it safe to run the boiler like this?
Any further thoughts?

Sponsored Links
When you drained down, did the F&E tank empty completely? did you experience any problems when filling up?

If the answer to these two questions is yes and then no, then as previously stated, you almost certainly have a duff pump.

It's unlikely that you will damage your boiler, but you certainly aren't doing it any favours.

So, how is your swimming pool heated?

When I drained it down I thought the F&E tank was empty but when I came to put in the sludge remover before refilling, it sounded as though there was still some water in there. It is not easy to see inside as it's very close to the eaves of the house. When I refilled it, it seemed to fill very quickly and I had a real problem bleeding the radiators, which I did complete eventually, but it took an age.

The swimming pool is outdoors and unheated. I prefer a cold dip in the mornings, but I can't bear being cold indoors - any ideas?

It was the pump. It was rotating but it was clagged up with gung. Have cleaned it out and refitted it and it is all working ok. I have bought a new pump as the exsiting one is quite old and after running with sludge remover in for a couple of weeks I will drain down and then replace the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back