Noisy Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a new Baxi Combi 105 HE boiler and radiators fitted.
When the heating is on there's a loud noise through the house that sounds like water being drained off (heavy rain outside).

This is loud enough to be very annoying. It will be unbearable in the winter when we have to have the heating on first thing in the morning and all evening.

Should it be like this? Can anything be done?

Andy

Sponsored Links
no....u should not be getting hardly any noise from ur baxi....
i read ur other thread !! r u still on speaking terms with the plumbers?
will they come back ?
if not try and get a baxi engineer out and he will tell u weather its the boiler or the installation thats at fault (more amo !)
Did u check on their corgi reg ? (although this is no guarantee of quality workman ship etc)

Have you got the Benchmark logbook?

Has it been completed?

Thanks Guys
The installer didn't mention anything about a benchmark logbook!
We are still on speaking terms and we called him in yesterday.

He agreed that it was noisy and then proceeded to 'tweak' all of the radiators to try and quieten the noise. He succeeded to some degree, but my concern is that if we change the settings (we have a thermostatic valve on all radiator apart from the towel radiator in the bathroom), the noise will return.

To help with the noise (you won't believe this), he said he had another pump on his van that may help. He then fitted a rusty secondhand one!. I let him do it without comment because i had already decided to get someone else in to check his work (trading standards).

When he left, the system was pretty quiet but over the next few hours the noise returned. It seems that when the central heating is first put on, all of the radiators are open. When each one gets hot enough, the thermostat turn that radiator off, forcing the hot water to the other remaining radiators. When most of the radiators are off, all the water is then going through the towel heater in the bathroom and the noise is unbearable.

I decided to turn both of the valves on the towel heater right down and this fixed the problem. It still gets hot, but i'm not sure if this will be hot enough in the winter.

I really feel like this is a botch. Surely i should be able to have any heating configuration i desire and still not have to put up with the noise.

I really am fed up with the whole thing.

Andy

Sponsored Links
benchmark book and cop here and its downloadable
BTW no book and completed NO WARRANTY

after thought
To help with the noise (you won't believe this), he said he had another pump on his van that may help. He then fitted a rusty secondhand one!. I let him do it without comment because i had already decided to get someone else in to check his work (trading standards).

methinks you are being had over

What make/model of TRV's? Hard question perhaps. SOme don't llike being on the return end. See which gets hot first.

Sit yourself by a noisy radiator, and turn down the valve at the non trv end until the noise stops. Hopefully it'll still be letting enough water through.

He may have fitted a (s/h?) 5 metre head pump in place of the original 6m head, which is definitely NOT what you want. You need the 6 for your HW to work properly. Make him refit, or at least LEAVE the pump which came with it.

There are other things you can do, but I note the boiler has an automatic internal bypass. I wonder if it's working. If your installer doesn't help, call out Baxi.

Andyjay,

you don't appear to have answered the question "is the installer Corgi registered?". You've said (I think) that he did not fill-in or give you the Benchmark logbook. These facts are important, can you answer please?

I would, soonest possible, open the valves on the towel warmer if I were you. By restricting the flow through the only non trv'ed rad, you stand a good chance of killing the pump.

System bypass would make things better. A roomstat should have been fitted to comply with building regs. System should have been cleaned (not just drained and refilled) and corrosion inhibited (failure could lead to HW HE packing up). Benchmark of course is you guarantee that the job was done by a professional to exacting standards

I would hope your combi gas line is adequate.

Hi chrishutt

The installer did not leave any benchmark documentation.
No room stat was fitted. He said we wouldn't need one because each radiator had it's own thermostat. I have opened the towel heater fully again.
As part of the quote, it did state that they would flush the system and install the inhibitor.
The installer is corgi registered.

ChrisR i will check on the TRV's and post back.

Thanks again guys - don't know what i'd do without all the advice.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back