Noisy heating/hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is a strange one (I think) so will try to explain the problem as best I can:

At the moment we have hot water to come on twice a day but we still have the heating turned off.

When the hot water turns on, the radiators sound as though there is water running through them, but they remain cold. It is a louder noise than we have ever experienced even when the heating is actually turned on.

The same happens when we have a shower or run the bath - the radiators become noisy with the sound of water running through them.

We have lived in the house for 9 years and never had such noisy radiators and never had them "working" cold when they should be off.

We recently had the motorised valve head replaced along with the timer box unit.

Can anyone please help explain what might be causing this and if this is a problem we should be worrying about?

Thanks.

Update 14 nov
A follow on to my original post, the matter seems even more complicated.

We have our heating on now due to the weather getting colder. When heating comes on, it makes awful noise that I have never heard before. It is a droning/chuffing noise - a bit like chugachugachugachuga
It makes this noise for about the first 5mins and then drops to a quieter droning)whistling noise. I appreciate heating makes a little noise, but this is so loud it reverberates around the house and is incredibly annoying.

I am hoping someone has some ideas what might be causing this.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
A follow on to my original post, the matter seems even more complicated.

We have our heating on now due to the weather getting colder. When heating comes on, it makes awful noise that I have never heard before. It is a droning/chuffing noise - a bit like chugachugachugachuga
It makes this noise for about the first 5mins and then drops to a quieter droning)whistling noise. I appreciate heating makes a little noise, but this is so loud it reverberates around the house and is incredibly annoying.

I am hoping someone has some ideas what might be causing this.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back