Noisy Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lived in our house for a couple of years no problems with the plumbing.

Earlier this year our boiler had a bit of an issue and the pipes and taps started to make a noise.

Got a plumber round who fixed the boiler (I told him about the pipe noise and asked him to fix this at the same time).

Boiler fixed but the noise is still present. It occurs when I turn the taps on quickly. It also occurs when a toilet is flushed and the taps are running.

I did try altering the internal stop tap to see if the incoming water pressure might be causing the problem.

Can anyone let me know what I might do to resolve this issue?

Sponsored Links
in this a rattling nose? trombone? hiss? bang? hot and cold? does the kitchen tap do it? both bath taps?

Hi JohnD,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It can happen with all of the taps in the house.

It's more of a trombone type noise.

It affects both hot and cold taps.

Justin

if it happens on everything, including the kitchen cold tap, then I'd suspect the main incoming stopcock. How old is it? Go and tightly hold the pipes coming out of it while someone runs a tap. Do they vibrate?

Presumably you have a combi boiler and no tanks or cylinders in the house. How old is the house?

Sponsored Links
Hi JohnD,

Thanks for your help.

No no vibration on the stopcock tap when I test taps in the loo.

The boiler is combi about 4-5 years old.

House is early 70's.

Tap noise is when taps get turned on quickly, it then stops.

This changes when you flush the loo, taps in the downstairs loo tend to stop making noise after initial turn on. The taps in the kitchen and main bathroom keep making trombone type noise.

When I touch the pipe under the kitchen sink it vibrates, as do the pipes feeding the taps in the downstairs loo.

Hope that all makes sense.

Justin

Is your water pressure and flow rate at the cold tap in the kitchen high?

If you have isolating valves to your taps, try turning them off individually and see if you can identify where the noise is originating from. I have had instances where the ceramic disc valves in a kitchen tap have vibrated when other taps in the house are used creating a noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back