Noisy water inlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water pipe into house has a restrictor valve on it which does make some rattling noise but I'm sure is not the cause of my problem
I looks like an old lead pipe comes up from the floor of which a 15mm coper pipe feeds in to the combi into the floor above.
When water is run there is a huge amount of noise which sounds like sssshhhh (I know! but how can you describe sound of rushing water)

Question If the pipe was replaced with 22mm then a small run of 15mm into combi would this likely quieten down the volume of water being squeezed through the 15mm?
I'm looking at getting the resrtictor valve removed and replce with a stopcock as the screw valve is shot.

Sponsored Links
Er, a restrictor valve? Is that some sort of tap, or just a restrictor?!
15mm is the same size as the normal lead (1/2" internal if it's about 21mm o/diameter) so doesn't make a nise like that. More likely your RV is part shut.

cheers for reply.
I believe it is a restrictor valve. It is a shared supply so I'm told its common to have these fitted due to higher pressure??

Replace with Pressure Reducing Valve.....£15.oo from PTS plumbers merchants :idea:Wait until May ...when the noise has driven you mad :LOL:.er YES it WILL reduce your pressure to 3Bar...ha.ha. See you next Christmas

Sponsored Links
timbalcombe said:
Water pipe into house has a restrictor valve on it ....

That'll make some noise

timbalcombe said:
I'm looking at getting the restrictor valve removed and replce with a stopcock as the screw valve is shot.

That wouldn't be a "screwdriver" slot 1/4 turn ball valve would it? Use one of these to restrict flow and your rather accurate description of the noise holds true. Use a proper stop-cock and the noise will be reduced significantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back