Nominal Voltage, calculations and Amd3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[rather lengthy, so only really for interested and dedicated 'techies' :)]

In another thread, in response to comments from winston1 ....
... you could ask Parsley where the actual standard allows the use of 240 as the value for U0, and where you can now find tables for maximum EFLI values to use with a U0 of 240v.
It is IMO a great pity that winston1 will not stop confusing/spoiling so many threads with his repetitive rants about the use of a “nominal supply voltage” (U0) for calculations since not only does it irritate many of us and destroy many discussions but it also detracts from the fact that there are some legitimate issues to discuss and that many of us probably actually share many of his feelings (but accept that, in general, the regulations dictate what we must do).

It would clearly be inappropriate and unworkable to undertake calculations on the basis of the actual supply voltage of a particular installation at some random point in time, not the least because supply voltages can (and are permitted to) vary appreciably. It is therefore necessary that we use some fixed value for such calculations, with current regulations nearly always requiring that fixed value to be U0.

One can argue (as winston1, unnecessarily and annoyingly, does repeatedly) that it is not appropriate in the UK to calculate on the basis of an arbitrary U0 of 230V when the average UK supply voltage is much closer to 240V. Similarly, if we changed U0 to 240V, one imagines that some foreign manifestation of winston1 would argue that, in their country, it would be inappropriate to calculate on the basis of 240V when the average supply voltage in their country was much closer to 230V or 220V. What these viewpoints don’t usually acknowledge is that it is probably not really logical to use any arbitrarily-selected “nominal voltage”, somewhere between the minimum and maximum permitted values (which I will call Umin and Umax).

The regulations are primarily about electrical safety and hence generally tend to work on the basis of ‘worst possible scenarios’. When one is undertaking calculations which involve, or are dependent upon, supply voltage, the ‘worst possible scenario’ will nearly always arise when the supply voltage is Umin or Umax (depending on what one is calculating), so one might have expected the regs to recognise this - but, up until now, they generally have not done this.

However, maybe IET/BSI (specifically JPEL/64) have at last come to this way of thinking, since in a few months’ time we are going to see one of the first manifestations of this way of thinking in Amendment 3 of BS7671:2008, even though the way of implementing this (as proposed in the latest draft of the Amendment) seems somewhat illogical and unnecessarily confusing.

As most people know, the change relates to the calculation of the maximum permitted Zs required to achieve required disconnection times with OPDs of varying type and In. Currently, these calculations (the results of which are tabulated in the regs and OSG) are based on the assumption that supply voltage is U0 (currently 230V). This means that a circuit which only just satisfies the disconnection time requirements per those calculations/tabulations (which assume that supply voltage is U0) will fail to satisfy the requirements if supply voltage is actually lower than U0 - so the logical conservative (‘worst case’) approach would be to require the calculations to be undertaken on the assumption of a supply voltage of Umin (currently 230V - 6%, namely 216.2V).

However, rather than simply requiring that Zs be low enough to satisfy the disconnection requirements even if supply voltage was as low as “Umin”,they have decided to stick with a calculation based on U0, but have added a correction factor (“Minimum Voltage Factor”, Cmin) by which one multiplies U0 (hence the factor by which one multiplies the calculated Zs). Had they chosen a value for Cmin of 0.94, this correction would have the same effect as the ‘logical’ (IMO) approach of calculating using “Umin” but, for reasons better known to themselves, the latest draft proposed Cmin=0.95, hence not quite representing the ‘worst possible scenario’ (U0-5%, rather than U0-6%). I and others have made representations about this apparent illogicality - but, whether they take notice of that or not, it would seem that come next year, maximum Zs values will be calculated on the basis of either “Umin” or something fairly close to that, rather than the arbitrary U0.

If we want regs which are conservative (i.e. which ‘err on the side of safety’) (do we?), this seems logical to me. Do people think that, as the years go by, we will see this ‘worst case scenario’ approach extended to other calculations - e.g. determination of ‘worst case Ib on the basis of loads being supplied with a voltage of “Umax” (currently 253V)? If we do, then, apart from the obvious, we might eventually see the end of rants and arguments about the (clearly not ideal) use of an arbitrary “nominal voltage” for calculations. The fact that the proposed Amd3 includes provision for definition of Cmax ("Currently Not Used"), as well as Cmin, does suggests that they may well have thoughts of extending this concept (effectively of using Umin or Umax, as appropriate, rather than U0 for calculations) in the future.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
We don't know, do we?

Are the figures that critical?

We don't really know the actual maximum CCC of conductors so presumably they never attain their maximum permitted temperature, in which case the Zs will already be lower than we have calculated.

A B type MCB must trip instantaneously at between 3 and 5 times its rating.
We allow for 5.
I cannot image they are manufactured to 4.999 so perhaps it's actually 4 or 4.5 or even 3.

As has often been said, we cannot test MCBs.

Unless all the actual information were available for us to do an exact calculation, all of these rough near worst-case figures are likely to be satisfactory.

You could argue, as I think John has suggested, that if the figures are not that critical, why not swing towards using 253?

Personally, I have a theory that old Winnie here (his moniker is no coincidence) is a euro sceptic at best and is just bashing anything where we have harmonised or agreed with euro rules or regulations.

We don't know, do we? Are the figures that critical? We don't really know the actual maximum CCC of conductors so presumably they never attain their maximum permitted temperature, in which case the Zs will already be lower than we have calculated. A B type MCB must trip instantaneously at between 3 and 5 times its rating. We allow for 5. ... Unless all the actual information were available for us to do an exact calculation, all of these rough near worst-case figures are likely to be satisfactory.
That's all very true, particularly given that even the 'required disconnection times' themselves are largely arbitrary. However, we obviously must use some sort of figures (even if imperfect, and with 'safety margins') as our guide, and I would think that it makes sense to base calculations on the closest we can get to 'worst case' figures. To base them on an arbitrarily-chosen nominal voltage (which, as we are always being reminded, is appreciably deviant from the supply voltage of most installations in the UK) doesn't really make much sense (to me) at all.

Whatever, it certainly seems that, at least in this one context, the regs are starting to think that way - and, as I said, since the proposal is for Part 2 to include a (not yet defined) "Cmax" suggests to me that they are at least considering slipping 'worst case correction factors' into other calculations in the future.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You could argue, as I think John has suggested, that if the figures are not that critical, why not swing towards using 253?
What I have suggested is that, if we wanted to consider 'worst cases', we would use (with current regs) either 216.2V (e.g. for things like 'maximum Zs') or 253V (for current demand/design current, or 'maximum Zs' {for adiabatic calculation purposes}), as appropriate - and it looks as if the regs may be moving in that direction.

I agree that it's not critical, and also that a lot of it is pretty arbitrary, but I do agree that to calculate on the basis of a nominal voltage (which doesn't even correspond to the 'usual' UK supply voltage) is 'neither one thing nor the other' and therefore seems not to make much sense (to me).

Of course, if we took winston's 'advice' and calculated 'maximum Zs' on the basis of a voltage of 240V, then some installations would end up being even further from satisfying the (albeit essentially arbitrary) disconnection time requirements, even though presumably technically 'compliant'.

Kind Regards, John

I think the point is being missed in a big way, electricians are not being asked to calculate the exact disconnection time for a particular point in time or place.

Just the time for a nominal voltage of 230V, nothing more, nothing less. Yes it could be the time for 240V or even 243.1233456789V. It doesn't matter
I'm fairly sure the relevent folk know that it will vary from installation to installation and accept ir will be higher or lower dependant upon the actual voltage!

But just how far should we go? Should it be the average volts on an installation over a certain time period, if so what period? Should it be based on the maximum or minimum recorded volts?

But what are the actual volts? Well here are two charts I copied at random that show what really happens

volts2_zpsf9c90d43.jpg
[/URL][/img]

volts1_zpse82431e2.jpg
[/URL][/img]

(don't know why they are different sizes)

The only reason 230V is used IMHO is because it is the official declared voltage throughout the EU, no more no less.

(to be honest either some folk are trolling or they just don't get it and are little better than folk who can just install wires with no thought to the whys and wherefores!

I think the point is being missed in a big way, electricians are not being asked to calculate the exact disconnection time for a particular point in time or place. Just the time for a nominal voltage of 230V, nothing more, nothing less. Yes it could be the time for 240V or even 243.1233456789V. It doesn't matter.
I can't speak for others, but I'm certainly not missing the point - it's really what I'm discussing.
I'm fairly sure the relevent folk know that it will vary from installation to installation and accept ir will be higher or lower dependant upon the actual voltage!
I'm sure they do, but ....
...But just how far should we go? Should it be the average volts on an installation over a certain time period, if so what period? Should it be based on the maximum or minimum recorded volts?
As you imply, there is a limit to how far one can sensibly go, but (even if you consider it naive or simplistic) I think there is a strong case for a set of regulations to at least be internally consistent. If those regulations state that the 'permitted supply voltage' range from 216.2V to 253V (even though we know that instantaneous voltages may be outside of that range), and if (by whatever process) the authors of the regulations have decided that a certain maximum disconnection time is desirable, it seems to me that those regs ought to require that an installation is such that those disconnection times are achieved for supply voltages down to 216.2V.

It's obviously not just me. The 'relevent people' on JPEL/64, many/most of whom will be very clever, knowledgeable, experienced and sensible people (many undoubted much more clever and experienced than me, and maybe even you!) have clearly decided that they want those disconnection times to be achieved with supply voltages <230V - hopefully (sensibly, IMO) right down to 216.2V but, if the latest draft is not modified, at least down to 218.5V.

Kind Regards, John

Does the correction factor (“Minimum Voltage Factor”, Cmin) by which one multiplies U0 change for power and lighting?

I just can't see how it will work. Where we use a generator both the droop of the engine and depending on regulation method can cause it to be impossible to maintain voltage under fault conditions.

BS7671 has to work with all situations not just when the supply is from a large step down transformer.

We already have a problem with RCD tripping where under fault conditions the voltage can drop below that required for the electronics hence the active RCD.

I have seen with 110 volt supplies where the fuse is on the incomer to transformer and one leg has been earthed how the fuse does not rupture until the cables melts causing a second fault near to the transformer. The problem is of course down to the poor design of transformer and it would seem it has been forgotten there is only 55 volts to earth and that's before volt drop.

On the Falkland we had two basic generators both Lister engine one 3.5 kVA the other 5 kVA they looked very similar except one single cylinder the other twin cylinder. With the 3.5 kVA any overload would cause field to collapse but with the 5kVA it would burn out the generator. Neither had an AVR.

With the 3.5kVA any fuse was useless even a 10A fuse would not blow with a short circuit one could do all the calculations until the pigs came home and that's a long time as no pigs on the Falklands they would all be wrong.

The cure was the active RCD once the field collapsed the RCD would drop out removing power.

Adding the correction factor will mean electricians will even more rely on the regulations rather than use common sense.

it's really what I'm discussing.

I was attempting to back you up!

The question of what nominal voltage is interesting, though, as over the channel it can go down to 230 - 10% which matches the original standards there. (it could end up being that in the UK in time I was once told)

Perhaps as a lot of the standards are EU based as well it is an attempt to set a worst case figure for the UK with a different correction factor in other parts of the EU.

it's really what I'm discussing.
I was attempting to back you up!
Oh, sorry - in that case I thank you :)
The question of what nominal voltage is interesting, though, as over the channel it can go down to 230 - 10% which matches the original standards there. (it could end up being that in the UK in time I was once told) ... Perhaps as a lot of the standards are EU based as well it is an attempt to set a worst case figure for the UK with a different correction factor in other parts of the EU.
Yes, maybe, although as I (and others) have pointed out to JPEL/64, it seems very odd that they chose a correction factor of 0.95 (rather than 0.94), relative to 230V, for the UK!

Kind Regards, John

Does the correction factor (“Minimum Voltage Factor”, Cmin) by which one multiplies U0 change for power and lighting?
No, and I don't see why it should. At least so far, Cmin is only invoked in relation to 'maximum Zs' (in section 411 and Appendices 3 and 14), which does not distinguish between power and lighting circuits, and the value per current draft is always 0.95 (hopefully they'll change it to 0.94 :) ).
I just can't see how it will work. Where we use a generator both the droop of the engine and depending on regulation method can cause it to be impossible to maintain voltage under fault conditions. BS7671 has to work with all situations not just when the supply is from a large step down transformer.
I don't see that the change will make any difference. At present, Zs calculations are undertaken on the basis of an assumed supply voltage of 230V (regardless of the nature of the power source) and, once Amd3 comes into force, the same calculations will be undertaken on the basis of an assumed supply voltage of 218.5V (or 216.2V, if they 'come to their senses'!), again regardless of the nature of the power source.

I agree that these calculations may well result in failure to achieve the required disconnection times if the power source voltage falls under fault conditions . However, that has always been the case, and the situation will become 'better', not worse, when we determine 'maximum Zs' on the basis of 218.5V (or 216.2V), rather than the present 230V. If the designer feels that these 'maximum Zs' figures (calculated and tabulated per BS7671) are not appropriate in view of the nature of the power source, (s)he will not be using them now, and still won't be using them once Amd3 is with us.
Adding the correction factor will mean electricians will even more rely on the regulations rather than use common sense.
I don't really understand that. As above, nothing conceptual is going to change - only the voltage used for determining 'maximum Zs'. People will just have to use 218.5V (or 216.2V), rather than the present 230V, to determine the 'maximum Zs' - and they won't even have to do the calculations themselves, since all the tabulations of 'maximum Zs' in BS7671 will be updated in Amd3 (and presumably soon after that also changed in the OSG).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back