Norton causing problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi as you can see with my name i usually go on plumbing site
But i have a problem with computer it had to be fixed new graphics card and memory when I got it back my panda software would not work kept saying protection level low and that i have to pay£40 to re-install but when i bought it it said works till 2007
So i put norton on computer and it wont let me on net i have to keep take-ing it off for an hour or so

please need advice

Sponsored Links
The general consensus here is that Norton can be problematic (or at least requires that some time be taken to set it up properly). Have a look at this post for an alternative free AV product.

I had Norton firewall and anti-virus pre-installed on a new HP machine and found that not only was it difficult to configure, it was also inconsistent in what it allowed through.

I bit the bullet and bought a copy of Zonelabs Internet Security Suite 6 from Amazon for about £20, removed Norton and installed that. A doddle to set up and so far no problems at all :)

I agree with 'Skibum' go for a Zonelab package.

I had numerous problems with Norton, particularly with the fire wall, so much so that I dumped it half way through the subscription period and installed the free Zonelab firewall instead, which has worked without any problems at all.

On my laptop I am currently trying out on a 15 day trial the top of the range Zonelab offering and so far it has been a real doddle to set and run. It covers everything you need.

Sponsored Links
Norton can be an absolute bas***d!! Particularly if you don't renew your licence at the end of your free year. I have personally lost one HDD due to something that Norton did when I didn't renew - symantec, of course, deny all knowledge but this has happened to many times to friends, colleagues and customers over the years for it to be coincidence.

Despite the fact that I have access, through work. to licensed copies of Norton, Sophos and Kaspersky I will always use AVG for my anti virus and Zone Alarms for my firewall. Both are brilliant, non-invasive and (best of all) FREE!!

All the best,

Nigel

My Norton System Works have been running good with no reinstall since 2002. recently bought Ghost 2003 and that integrated into 'Works' without problems.
Norton resides with latest Z A Pro firewall having absolutely no problems.

Do people tend to to set the Norton AV to run too many checks?
Like 'scanning system files at start up' Starting 'Disk doctor' and 'System doctor' .. 'safety sweep' on.... etc etc.
I have just 'script blocking' and 'virus auto-protect' (real time protection) starting at boot up, I manually check for updates..
The other stuff is useful if / when trouble descends.
:D

Been using Norton SystemWorls since 1999, seems OK to me.

I usually buy a new one when the licence expires rather than doing renewal. Although the cheapest way to buy it is to buy last year's model (e.g. Norton 2004 or 2005) from a retailer who's been left with old stock (new, unregistered, with key) at half price or so on Fleabay. as soon as you install it it downloads all the new updates and starts your 366 days fre updates from today. Funnily enough, if you have a hard disk prob and reinstall on a clean disk, it restarts the 366 days.

Please do not ask how .... I thought I had a problem with the liveupdate associated with NAV... I uninstalled liveupdate from control panel, downloaded and installed lusetup.exe from Symantec (NB there was a nasty site named Symantech .. another story )Installed that and lo and behold copped another full period of updates ( extra coupla months )!! I think there was some probs for Symantec updates around that time .. last year.
I cannot recall if I googled and found a 'how to' on resetting the full period of update subscriptions or if it was all accidental.
All academic now .. M$ dropping security updates for 98se soon, guess the rest will follow suite.
:D

Sponsored Links
Back