Not another Grd Floor Suspended Timber insulation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry for another question on insulating the grd floor (maybe this can end up as a sticky to cover it :)

So after reading the posts on here:

1) You can insulate with either Rock wool, polystyrene, Celotex /Kingspan
which is place pushed / flush to the underside of your floor boards and walls, holding it in place with battens or chicken wire

2) You should tape around the edges to reduce gaps

3) You should ensure there is plenty of ventilation in the space below by clearing air bricks, which helps stop condensation and presumably the joists rotting.

Questions:
A) Which insulation is the best per £? Rockwool will be cheapest, but will the extra cost of Celotex / Kingspan pay off over the 5 - 10 years?
B) Similar question as above, but with the Celotex / kingspan, what depth should I go to before the I'm not adding much more warmth over the costs.
C) Would it be advisable to tape all the joints first, length ways on the joins and crossways on the joists (90o bend half on boards, half on joists) to reduce draughts, then apply insulation, fix in place and further taping in place to joists. I was thinking this wouldn't be too much more expensive as only tape, rather labour.
D) For gaps that are hard to get to i.e. 2cm gaps around the edges where the joists are close to walls, would you advise squirting some foam in to stop draughts?

Thanks in advance, all replies are welcome, as my 1930's, non insulated, non cavity wall house was rather chilly when I bought, so trying to do as much as I can (without breaking the bank) (including double glazing, insulated plasterboard and plenty of bad xmas jumpers :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back