Not Gas related- Shower door knob, anyone help me out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, been working on my own gaff today, still haven't moved in! Problem being that the shower door has come with no knob and to make matters worse I cannot find the invoice or purchase details (been sitting in the house for months) and its a non branded one!

I measured the hole in the glass and its 7mm Diameter, but when I am looking for them online none of them state the thread size!
Its a bifold door and as such requires a double sided knob.
Anyone know wether they are all 7mm holes?
Or a merchant/ online supplier that states these details?

Thanks, Alex

Sponsored Links
M7 is not a preferred fastener size. Most fixings for handles (or almost anything else, for that matter) use 4, 5, 6, or 8mm threads.

Older imperial sized 1/4" threads would be about 6.4mm, but it is unlikely you would find them on anything made in the last 25 years.

The hole is probably generously oversized to stop the bolt from chipping the edge of the tempered glass, leading to it shattering.

Most likely the intended fixing was either M4 or M5, with a pair of shouldered plastic washers to protect the edges of the hole in the glass.

You could probably use a pair of cabinet door handles of your choice, which are usually tapped M4, linked with a piece of 4mm studding (or bolt with the head cut off) seated on a pair of fibre washers, with a short offcut of soft plastic tube to line the hole and centre the stud and washers.

Plenty of double sided shower door knobs on google/ebay with thread diameter ie 6mm etc.

Sponsored Links
Just got a decent looking set off fleabay, cost me a tenner but I'm just wanting the house finished now so ordered them.
Would have been nice if one had been included in the first instance!

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back