Not to sure what to do!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I'm about to repaint soffit boards, window sills and window revales.
The problem is I repainted them some years ago and 80% of it has just peeled off.
I don't know what sort of paint was used originally (first ever coat) but I do know it keeps throwing the new paint applied over it :oops:
The original paint is a little bit chalky!

Also the sills and revales have bare plaster here and there so what should I do there :rolleyes:

I have read instructions on some stablising solutions but they say don't apply over bare surfaces, only previously coated surfaces.
So that has confused me totally.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are the sofitt boards asbestolux type material.? A mistake commonly made is to undercoat bare cement/asbestolux sofitt, (asbestos oooer) boards with solvent based undercoat this will flake off just like you describe.Scrape any loose off and coat up bare area's with masonry paint, when really dry paint overall.

Any bare surface which is not dusty should only be primed with a very thinned coat of the masonry paint your going to use followed by a second coat (thicker).
If it's really dusty even after brushing with a stiff broom (not wire brush) then a coat of stabiliser is needed.
Don't be tempted to put stabiliser onto sound surface, as it will turn the substrate into a glass like surface and any masonry paint will peel/flake and looka rite mess whithin the year..
good luck.

Are the sofitt boards asbestolux type material.? A mistake commonly made is to undercoat bare cement/asbestolux sofitt, (asbestos oooer) boards with solvent based undercoat this will flake off just like you describe.Scrape any loose off and coat up bare area's with masonry paint, when really dry paint overall.

Any bare surface which is not dusty should only be primed with a very thinned coat of the masonry paint your going to use followed by a second coat (thicker).
If it's really dusty even after brushing with a stiff broom (not wire brush) then a coat of stabiliser is needed.
Don't be tempted to put stabiliser onto sound surface, as it will turn the substrate into a glass like surface and any masonry paint will peel/flake and looka rite mess whithin the year..
good luck.
I think your wright about asbestolux probably asbestos 1960's house.
It looks to me as if there is a coat of something already on it but its a bit chalky, I'm not totally sure.
You don't think I should use stabiliser solution on sofit either then!

The window revales are also chalky!

I think your wright about asbestolux probably asbestos 1960's house.
It looks to me as if there is a coat of something already on it but its a bit chalky, I'm not totally sure.
You don't think I should use stabiliser solution on sofit either then!

The window revales are also chalky!

The soffit.. This is a dodgy area to advise on nowadays. so all I can say is the chalk on the soffit is probably salts from the oil based u/c reacting on tha cemnt/ asbestos. I get round this by washing with a sponge and a scraper try not to disturb asbestos and dont abrade. I wear a good mask if erm i do have to. Then coat up with masonry.. Not stabiliser.
The reveals. if after prep and brushing when you slide your palm over and find still dusty then stabilser will help.

good luck.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back