NOVICE - help needed with new Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK guys, new to all this. I am trying to replace a 1900mm radiator. i have bought the closest i could find 1800mm. I have fitted appropiate extenisions at the ends of the radiator (Sterrad extensions)/ However on refilling i have getting water leakage - 2 drops every 3 seconds. i have used PTFE tape on all threads. my question is:
- how tight should i be tightning the extensions and also the radiator adaptors that screw in the extensions and the valve.
- also how how PTFE tape should i use. i have covered the threads in 2 rounds of tape and its still leaking!!

help!

Sponsored Links
the rad tails i normally give some 15 wraps. (parallel tread)
the ext bits 3-4 as they have rubber collars on them.
the rad valve has no ptfe on it as its compression.

15 wraps!!! how dificult does this make the nut to tighten. and how tight?

The whole point about PTFE tape is it's THIN, so 15 layers is actually not very thick once all the air and voids are crushed out of it. Also, it is supposed cut where metal meets metal, so that it fills the gaps between metal surfaces.
If a parallel thread is tight, you've probably cross-threaded it!

(By the way - you are aware of the difference between parallel and taper threads...? No matter in this case: rad tails are parallel anyway.)

Sponsored Links
thanks for your replies, how tight should i be tightning, as far as it goes or 3/4 thrould the thread

Just a thought.....have you put PnisFE tape on the threads where there is a brass ring on the pipe :?: Could be a mistake made by a newby as you admit :idea: Have a look @ the stickys and FQA`s for compression and screwed joints

i have put PTFE tabe on the following threads:

- thread that screws into the rad
- main valve thread that connects valve to rad
- thread that sits over the olive

let me know!! also is 15wraps of tape ok!

thanks

rampz said:
i have put PTFE tabe on the following threads:

- thread that screws into the rad
- main valve thread that connects valve to rad
- thread that sits over the olive

let me know!! also is 15wraps of tape ok!

thanks

You only need PTFE on the thread that screws into rad.
The union thread, main valve thread that connects valve to rad as you say only needs a smear of pipe jointing compound (boss white) on union face.
The thread that sits over the olive needs no PTFE at all.
If you can get boss white and hemp use this instead of PTFE to screw into the rad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back