Nuetral Joints at Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused:

A question for the fellow sparkies ..

I'm just about to start a middle flat rewire (no great problem) but as usual the walls are solid all round with fancy cornicing. I'm hoping to use the existing lead sheathed cable where possible as draw wires as these can be seen from the hall. I would prefer to use single T/E cables to the lights rather than try and pull thro 3 at a time so that eliminates the loop-in method.

This gives me 2-options for the lighting circuit
1. central joint box
2. nuetral joints at the swiches (preferred option)

I did the 16th edition awarenes course a few years back and the way the 16th edition sometimes leaves things open to interpretation I'm not entirelly sure if this is 'allowed' although I don't see any problem with it ...I'm open for advice!

Sponsored Links
no problem at all providing the neutral joint is fixed in the box not loose

Sponsored Links
no problem at all providing the neutral joint is fixed in the box not loose

Fixed?

Surely a suitably rated connector block or wago connector would suffice and not require fixing.

Unless, of course, there's a regulation which states it must be fixed and isn't out of the NICEIC's imaginary book of regulations?

Surely a suitably rated connector block or wago connector would suffice and not require fixing.
Absolutely.

The 'should be fixed to a base' regarding connectors is from one of Brian Scaddans books, and that was probably regarding strain relief where the cable/flex would be moved. (hence the use of chocboxes for downlighters etc).

Not a regulation.

i wonder what alexnic thinks...
hhmmm, lets ask..
Alexnic, yoo-hoo, are you there? hello hello.....

A response might take some time me thinks :)

I cant even think if a practical way to make a 'fixed connection' in a metal back box.

I have always dressed the cable around and left a connector block in a corner that the CPC connector wasn't

Thats it Gary Mo.....Your on the NIC imaginary 'Hit List' I suggest you look over your shoulder for ever!!!!

And sod the seven year itch!!!!!

Lol, just seen the date! :LOL:

I hope he's not still sitting in the dark waiting.

Seriously though Iwas under the impression loose connectors were no longer permitted but most choose to ignore it.

Perfectly acceptable to use a connector in the back of the box. Both in 2003 and now! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back