NZ Electrics (off topic content removed )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posting in Electrics UK, as I think the way Kiwi electrics are done will make an interesting comparison with ours.

This is one option the Kiwis have for doing sockets on cooker circuits:

IMG_20240424_090517_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240424_090509_HDR.jpg

One 10A socket on either side of the cooker.

In this case, the left hand one is powering the fridge, the right hand one the kettle.

This is a photo showing the kiwi twin and earth cable and aluminium buckle clips. This work was done in 1982.

IMG_20240424_110419_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
One 10A socket on either side of the cooker.

In this case, the left hand one is powering the fridge, the right hand one the kettle.

Are/ were those sockets fused down inside the oven panel?

This is a photo showing the kiwi twin and earth cable and aluminium buckle clips. This work was done in 1982.

Buckle clips were what were used in the UK too, until around then - some might suggest they look neater, than the plastic nail on clips.

Buckle clips were what were used in the UK too, until around then - some might suggest they look neater, than the plastic nail on clips.

My dad was a spark and originally wired his garage using buckle clips with all the socket and lighting circuits neatly run on the roof timbers. I always thought it looked so much neater than what can be achieved using modern pastic clips. Later additions using plastic clips did not look quite as good

Sponsored Links
AIUI with AU/NZ plugs and sockets a smaller plug will fit a larger socket, so you can plug a regular 10A plug into a 32A socket, though my understanding is that such sockets are quite rare and watching some videos I get the impression that typical socket circuits there are 20A.

Ultimately, each country seems to find different things to obsess over, but overall each country seems to achieve a level of safety they consider acceptable.

IME, plastic cable clips started to appear between 1970-1974. But many used the buckle clips until much later. I personally prefer the plastic ones. They can look neat if you take your time and plan the routes.

plug:
Yes, I think you're right. I did see a larger outlet at the previous accommodation for a washing machine, but I forgot to take a piccy.

At out latest AirBnB:

IMG_20240426_073335_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240426_074230.jpg

An RCD socket the other side of the sink to the shower cubicle.
And what looks like a Manrose SELV fan over the shower tray.

A close up of the socket:

171407440956862783355817883140.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me!

This is a good idea: a double socket with a third switch for a nearby appliance, in this case a waste disposal unit.

IMG_20240426_100809_HDR.jpg

Glad it's not just me! I wonder if the average 'man in the street' in NZ understands?
Even the MIs aren't clear...

Screenshot_20240426-023358_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I believe (guess!), the indicators show the state of the socket and the second (additional) outlet - edit, in this case the fan.

Attachments

• 429753.pdf
    119.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Even the MIs aren't clear... <image>
My goodness! :)
I believe (guess!), the indicators show the state of the socket and the second (additional) outlet.
Who knows?!¬ Your guess may be right, but I'd put no money on it!

Do we know (or does a New Zealander know) what"A/P" is?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back