Oak flooring buckled

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would appreciate some advice on the following:
We had a solid oak floor laid onto a ground floor concrete floor (laid about 25 years ago) in Aug 2007 and had not had any problems with it til Aug 2008 after the heavy rains. The floor started to buckle at two end of the room (perpendicular to the length of the boards).
The original fitter came to assess the floor and ripped part of it up. He took some readings with his hygrometer and said that he thought we had had a leak. We have not pipes that run under the floor so I was perplexed. My theory was the humidity in the air.
He ripped up some boards on the perimeter of the wooden floor and it seemed that the floor boards were touching the skirting boards. It seemed that the floor had shifted all the way to the perimeter. After removing some of the perimeter boards the floor seemed to settle back into place.
The fitter is adamant that he fitted the floor correctly and that the apparent "leak" is the cause of the buckling. In some areas the wood has pulled up some of the screed and bitumen. Surely that is just where the contact is the weakest?
He advised us to get a de-humidifier over the weekend to dry the room out. We just turned up the heating full-time and did not bother with a de-humidifier. On returning the following week he took some more measurements and said that the room had now dried out, (despite us not getting a de-humidifier.)
We are in constant debate over what the cause was and whether we should pay for the new wood and the relaying of the floor.
My theory is that he did not leave enough perimeter space for the floor to expand. He also did not let the wood acclimatise in the room prior to starting the laying, which I thought was routine?!
I would appreciate some advice as he is not too keen on accepting responsibility for the costs and relaying the floor.

thanks
Dennis

Sponsored Links
Let's start with some questions if you don't mind.
How wide are your Oak floorboards? How wide is the room?
Reading your story the floor was glued to the concrete, what type of adhesive did your fitter use?

what was the moister reading of the concrete and the wood?

O and how long was the hygromter down for? and how long and what was the moister content before laying?

Sponsored Links
In some areas the wood has pulled up some of the screed and bitumen

Did he prepare / screed the floor?
If so did he screed over old bitumen?
Did he use a bitumen based adhesive?
Do you get much condensation on the windows in the room?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back