Oak flooring disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We would appreciate any advice regarding our recent disaster.
We have had a solid wood floor installed via the floating method throughout the lounge, playroom and hall ( glued tongue and groove) approx 6 months ago. Unfortunately after a small flood in the hall, the floor in each of the rooms has buckled and popped in several areas, due to not enough expansion gap None of the boards glued together have separated. We are planning to trim away the edges a replace any damaged boards. My concern is that we have purchased "masters choice, white oak " from good fellows, which has variance in lengths and I am sure floating was perhaps not the best method for the installation long term. Are we best attempting to correct the disaster or would it be a waste of time due to the instability or solid oak. We are unsure re the long term problems associated with this type of floor being floated rather than nailed

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about your disaster. Between the rooms, have there been thresholds installed (i.e. every room installed as a separate entity)?

It is indeed always best to follow the manufacturer's instructions, especially when you have a floor that contains many (often too many) short lengths.

Has all the moist been allowed to evaporate from underneath the floor - and the used underlayment? If not, then your fitter will have to come back and back time after time.

Sorry.. speaking to you via two forums
I`ll stick to this one
The floor runs through.. and there is underlay where there are floor boards and concrete. Not sure if she has placed DPM on the concrete ( I will ask!)
How can I tell when the moisture has evaporated?
Wish I`d seen your website prior to purchasing the wood.
I suppose we just are unsure whether to cut our losses and start afresh and whether its worth her rectifying the situation if it will only be temporary, if the method of laying is not suitable. ( irrespective of the flood!)

Sponsored Links
No not as yet., we are aware that they wont cover bad work, but may accept costs due to water damage... we were awaiting to see what the fitter says cost of repairs etc. We were less concerned til we discovered the floor had been floated. Then through reading through various web sites we established that floating this floor would be a problem.
Its a disaster ( expensive lesson to learn) . i guess no one can predict the outcome if we repair the damage. I suppose what we want hear is that "there is not always problems floating this floor" but i sense there probably is, despite the fitter stating she can remedy the problem with ease. The irony is my husband has done lots of successful DIY jobs in the past (laminate etc), however did not feel confident due to the wood costing over a grand and a half.

Sorry about the ramble, but feeling a little sore at the mo

The floor would likely have 'popped' or 'blown' even if it had been full contacted bonded in place or floated or fitted via the liquid batten method, the flood has likely also caused the expansion issues, and if the escape of water has ingressed under the floor i would suggest an urgent call to your insurer, floors are often under buildings not contents i believe, if much water is under your floor i might suggest it will be difficult to remedy the problems without uplifting the oak and starting again.....by the way what width was the floor to start with ??

I agree that the expansion is due to the flood , not just the installation, ( however wanted clarification whether it is possible to float this kind of floor!). I suppose claiming would make sense as we we cant continue forking out money for ongoing repairs.
When you say width of floor . Do you mean individual floorboards or width of each room ?

If we are able to claim.. anyone got any suggestions re suitable wood i.e. 2 kids .. one dog etc ? Engineered wood?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back