OAk stain for hardwood doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need help with some hardwood doors that our builder fitted that was supposed to be oak veneer.

We have oak floors and need to try to blend the door in the best we can. I am looking for ideas on stains to match. Is it best to use the usual ronseal type varnish or is there a better solution. I know the grain will look different but just want the best finish we can get

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
no the doors were supposed to be oak veneer so you have a product that is similar in colour and grain to the floor. The doors that were fitted were hardwood competely different grain and more of a pink/red tinge than the warm colour of the floor. I am looking for advice on how best to stain the doors so they match as good as i can get with the floor ( considering they are different to start with)

There are lots of types and shades of oak, no reason they should match unless checked before purchase.
You say the doors are fitted, what stain was applied?

Sponsored Links
darkening from a paler colour its easy to get a close enough colour but you have very little chance of lightening them from a mahogany/ cherry type colour with good results.

Sorry. :(

To give you the answer you didn't want, matching timber and stain is a job for someone with experience, and an eye for what looks right. Any DIY you try will probably end up making things looks worse. Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back