Odours from toilet pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This will take some explaining. I'v got an en-suite bathroom and a main bathroom. The main bathroom has just been re-furbished. There is no external vent to either, formally a drago valve in the en-suite, now a drago in both. On occassion (regular but not every time) when the en-suite is used (be it basin/shower/toilet) we get smells in the other bathroom. We've got anti-vac on everything, the drago valves are working fine, and there is no pull on the new pan when the other one is flushed. The stack is fine (checked with smoke bombs even), barriered off physically in case, and the waste has not been altered at all except for the extra drago valve, which was fitted to try and remedy the problem. Now many will find this hard to believe but with water in the base of the pan, and no pull, smells are eminating from the pan about 3 minutes after usage in the other bathroom. Plumbers look at me sceptically. I've got a feeeling this pan is not British but it must have been licensed and it was bought here. It's not the pan connector as the bloke I got in to do the drago re-did it.When we use the re furbished bathroom there is never a problem. The smell is not constant, just when the other bathroom is used.
Should the pan be changed, although the plumber thinks it's ok. Ultimately I plan to vent outside, will this do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I take it the draco valves you refer to are Air admittance valves. These allow air in (to prevent a partial vacuum forming behind the flushings, but do not allow positive pressure out.

Your problem could be caused by a partial blockage further down the system. Rather than try to describe it, I thought I'd take this opportunity to play around with Paintbrush and Gif animator to demonstrate.

Although this assumes the partial blockage to be in the nearest inspection chamber, it could be anywhere really.

TMToilet.gif

Tex. I just love those animations. What are you using?

joe

joe-90 said:
Tex. I just love those animations. What are you using?
I use Paintbrush to draw the pictures then Microsoft GifAnimator to pull them together. It's totally free, you only need the executable which you can download from here

First you create every frame that you want (save them in .gif format).
Make a backup copy of the last frame.
Open Gif Animator.
Open file (choose gif that is to be your last frame.)
Then use the Insert button to add the gif for the frame before.
repeat for all the other frames (working backwards until you reach the first)
Then for each image you setup how long you want it to appear.
Save the file and job's done.

It's my latest toy :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Texmex, thanks for your answer, a strong possibility and very entertaining too. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back