oil based to water based

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i like using water based paints but i give the old oil based paints a good rub down but the water based never seems to hold well i can get my finger nail under the paint and it peels off. i have heard people say you need a special primer for the change in paints so i was woundering what primer have you all been using. thanks carl

Sponsored Links
Neither of the above suggestions will be of any use for what you want to do. You can either, rub all woodwork down thoroughly and sugar soap if it has nicotine or grease of any kind on it. Then use an oil based undercoat and finally a top coat of the water based gloss. Or rub down etc and apply a coat of Zinnser primer, then use water based undercoat and gloss. Do not use PVA on your woodwork.

ok thank you i just thort there may be a water based primer witch holds well to oil based paints do you all find water based dont hold well to oil based paints or is it just me. thanks carl

Sponsored Links
Here you go...

Dulux Trade Quick Drying Wood Primer Undercoat

Excellent stuff.[/u]

Well sorry robbie. I would beg to differ. PVA or stalizing solution WILL cover and WILLl stop nicotine from bleeding through. Have used it very successfully. Also it is OK on woodwork.Would suggest you change trades.

Well sorry robbie. I would beg to differ. PVA or stalizing solution WILL cover and WILLl stop nicotine from bleeding through. Have used it very successfully. Also it is OK on woodwork.Would suggest you change trades.

:shock

PVa on woodwork!! your not serious? :LOL:
Suppose you might be serious :confused: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back