Oil boiler not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Worcester Danesmoor 12-14 boiler is not starting. The boiler goes through its pre ignition burner startup woosh of air but wont ignite.
The lockout light is not on and I am looking for ideas on possible causes please.

Sponsored Links
I would like to hear a second opinion on this one Mick, but I would suspect that the burner doesn't have an ignition spark.....likely to be due to either a dud transformer or the Satronic control box.
John :)

I use the term "ignition" without any real knowledge. Yes, the control box is a satronic.
The boiler was only serviced two months ago but I suppose these units can fail at any time?

Indeed they can Mick, but its not a good idea just to throw bits at the burner just for the hell of it.....turns out expensive!
What you hear is the burner going through its purge routine - that is, it blows fresh air through the boiler for a few seconds, then the oil is turned on electronically - and the thing lights up if all is well. If a photocell detects a flame then it keeps the oil flowing, etc.
So, I'd like to see if there was actually a spark occuring first, which I'd do by running the burner on the bench.
Worry ye not - lets listen out for another opinion before venturing further.
You have a nice B9A burner, simple to work on and all parts are readily available.

Sponsored Links
burnerman for fault finding purposes , whilst onsite in peoples houses do you remove the burner from the boiler & run it ? or is this more the case in garages / outbuildings or in your workshop? interested

Some of the burners / boilers I have to attend are ruined and battered old things with evidence of massive tampering so often enough I bring the things away for a clean with compressed air.
I've a 5 litre bottle of kero on the garage wall (with tap) and a long pipe with a 1/4" BSP female end which couples to the burner. That plus a 250v supply and I'm good to go.
I unplug the photocell and cover it, start the burner and immediately it lights up, uncover the photocell and it continues to burn.
On some of the elderly boilers I can't access the pump side to couple up the pressure gauge, so with the thing on the bench I can adjust things this way.
Yours however has a pressure test port on the front of the pump - dead easy to access (marked P).
P.S Told you I was sad :p

do any of the oil boilers check the photocell is ok before going to ignition ?

All burners check the photocell before ignition; that is they look for a 'no flame' situation. If the flame signal is there before ignition, the boxwill not open the solenoid valve, OR will run the burner in purge OR go to lockout, depending on the make.If you have a p/c that is not sensing, then after ignition, it will cut off the fuel.
To check for spark on site, it is satisfactory to disconnect the solenoid coil and start the burner outside the boiler, but be wary of allowing stray light into the p/cell. On Riello burners, this does not work as the control box checks the coil during the start up, but you can remove the coil from the valve, but you must place a 'keep' through the hole so that the coil does not implode.

I THINK they only look for a high resistance at the photocell.

That could include a missing photocell or cut cable!

I would want to watch the spark electrodes to see if its sparking. Might mean removing them and testing out of position.

Would also look at and test ignition leads.

Tony

It could be the EBI that has shorted and fooked the control box.
This is usually caused by repeated ignition due to a poor flame or photo cell.

Check case of IgnTxfr for a blister.

You can usually hear the spark from the ignition electrodes fizzing just prior to the oil valve clicking open. No fizz = no spark!

Can be due to the EBI ignition transformer over heating and failing. This in turn can be due to a control box fault.

Hate to suggest........ no oil, fire valve, oil pump, blocked nozzle, blocked filters, tiger loop issue if fitted? , pump drive coupling to fan or it might just need bled up to the oil pump??......then again it might just be faulty ignition.... not disagreeing with your ideas fellas :D
and if its constantly running but not firing , photocell faulty or oil pump solenoid coil faulty or outside chance of control box.....

not an expert compared to the regular oil boys but its not locking out & constantly purging so photocell / maybe coupling ? or control box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back