Oil finish on an internal door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question.

Is Tung oil a suitable finish on a pitch pine internal door? I have finished an oak wash stand in tung oil and it looks great, just wasn't sure if it would be suitable on pitch pine as all the threads I have found only mention oiling oak.

Cheers in advance.

PP

Sponsored Links
If it suits you, you could use it, but the finish for these doors purchased by poor people who couldn't afford oak doors was to paint or rabbit glue and then add grain effect so you almost couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks oilman

I bought these doors because I liked them more than the oak! So I want to finish them to show them in their glory rather than to mimic something I could have bought! Any other thoughts on finish?

PP

Sponsored Links
Thanks oilman

I bought these doors because I liked them more than the oak! So I want to finish them to show them in their glory rather than to mimic something I could have bought! Any other thoughts on finish?

PP

In which case tung oil is fine, as would be linseed oil for an internal door. You just have to put on lots (10 or more) of coats but it's really easy to use, and then you just wait. The tung oil and linseed oil will make the wood slightly darker, and with enough coats it will develop a sheen. If you use linseed oil, don't get the cheap stuff as it has other things added, like fish oils. I don't know why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back