Old 1960's wiring - New 3 Gang, 2 Way switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm had a problem with the 3 gang switch in my hall. There was continuous sparking inside the middle "button" when it was turned on. I got a new 3 gang 2 way to replace it. On the old 3 gang, I found this aqua-marine semi-viscous fluid covering the terminals and some of the wires ( looks like that harpic bleach fluid used for cleaning the jacks ). I'm not sure what it is, and baffled as to how it go there. But I'm wondering if it caused the sparking.

The terminals on the new 3 gang are different to those on the old one. The new switch has terminals labelled L1 and L2 for each button, and three common terminals - a total of nine individual terminals. The old one is nothing like this, which is unsurprising because the switch itself - and the wiring - are probably more than 20 years old. There are 5 cables buried beneath the plasterboard and entering the back box. Then I found two more black coloured cables, spliced together at one common terminal, and rigged into two other terminals ( I'm not sure which ones though. Being the idiot I am I just disconnected them without checking).There are NO earth cables. I have no idea why (?)

Anyway to cut to the chase, could anyone give me directions on how to wire the new 3 gang 2 way switch ????

Moreover would anyone have any idea as to what that fluid might be ??

Thanks very much.

PS I'm living in Dublin, Ireland.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Back