old air brick problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i live in a downstairs victorian flat which has air bricks right on ground level. the problems i have with this is that slugs are getting through them and into my flat. i have put slug pellets down but would like to make a more permanent solution.

any suggestions on what i could cover them with and how i would cover them and where i could get such things from? i understand that i cant just generally cover them up due to building regs.

thnaks

Sponsored Links
You could fix pieces of fine wire mesh on the outside, which will keep out the creepy-crawlies as well as slugs.

Yes, a reasonably fine mesh will not affect the necessary airflow through the airbrick and, you might find something suitable in the bigger DIY stores.
I think I have seen perforated alloy sheet and this might be preferable to wire netting (unless you can find some quite fine "chicken wire" type of mesh).
My Wife is about to try a tip passed on by a local gardening club. Slugs like to eat their way through certain potted plants (Hostas I think) and it appears that slugs and snails won't cross a copper wire. The tip is to wind a piece of copper wire around the plant pot. It's worth trying on your airbricks, ie,a masonry nail in each corner, with the wire in a rectangle around the face of the brick. (You can buy a small roll of domestic electrical wire and pull the bare earth wire out if you can't get hold of suitable copper wire). This tip is, as yet, untried in our household but, we have it, on good authority, that it works.

Sponsored Links
I had a problem with bugs coming in through the air vents too and I got this really fine aluminium mesh from the local iron monger/building supply place. It cost me about £19 to do 14 vents (can you believe that I have 14 air bricks round my house??)

I just used silicone to stick it on.

And I've been dying to see Sticks Like Sh*t advertised on TV but it's trade only - I'm gutted! I'd have loved to have seen what they'd come up with to advertise that!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And I've been dying to see Sticks Like **** advertised on TV but it's trade only - I'm gutted! I'd have loved to have seen what they'd come up with to advertise that!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Are you sick and tired tired of your government? Believe that you are a political prisoner and not a mere terrorist? Want to make a statement? Then use Sticks like Sh*t! As used in the Maze prison to great effect - contact Bobby Sands on Belfast 808080 that's Bobby Sands on Belfast eight nothing eight nothing eight nothing for a free sample today!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back