old bt and house extension help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:Dhi all this is my first of many so here goes i have just built an extension to my house and are now doing the interior first bt.weve got a box outside with the bt cable coming from the street to a box inside wehave got two wires connected blue and white?then it goes into the house where it is connected to a bt box then a microfilter from that to a phone and a patch cable to the router in the living room and nothing else no boxs at all.i am going to and phone and internet to everyroom thats:
conyseratory: phone and internet x1
chilling room : phone and internet x1
games room :phone and internet x3
porch: internet x1
bedroom 1: phone and internet x1
bedroom 2: phone and internet x1
bedroom 3: phone and internet x1
bedroom 4: phone and internet x1.
check out my photo album for pics of what ive got as i dont know how to add pics thanks guys :D
//www.diynot.com/network/arsehole/albums/ [/img]

Sponsored Links
First box(grey one outside) is called a bt 66 this is where the ug(underground cable) has been terminated to your lead in (cable going into your house to the master socket) u.g cable if its two pair will have blue/white as pair one and orange/ white for pair two.blue /white line one ,orange/ white line two.If your planning on putting in all those extensions they should be wired off the master socket,after the first extension you can split the extensions into different locations and directions.Broadband will work better if used on master socket and extensions are wired in series i.e one after the other i personally would not have all those extensions as it will probably effect your broadband.

thanks simonpolly.
they are not going to be plugged in all the time just trying to futre proof the house.is there any web sites to show me how to do this that are recommened :)

Its pretty straight forward, depending on the master socket you have,if its the one in the photo when you take the front cover off there will be six connections, the incoming will be connected to terminals 2 and 5,any extensions after the master use 3 wires blue white number 2 white blue number 5,and the third wire orange with white fleck should be connected to number 3 terminal this is to ring the bell,most modern phones will still ring without the bell wire connected.YOU DONT HAVE TO USE THE COLOUR CODE I HAVE GIVEN YOU AS LONG AS BOTH ENDS OF THE WIRE ARE CONNECTED CORRECTLY AND THE SAME.
If you are going to use a new nte the incoming will be connected to a and b on the master socket,and any extensions will be connected as per above but they will connect to the removeable frontplate on the new type nte.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Putting those sockets around the house will give you the ability to put your modem in any room, do you want to do that or do you want to be able to plug your computer in, in any room?

If you want the latter then you need to have your modem/router plugged into the first NTE5 socket (I suggest you replace your first socket for a decent one) and then a 8 port switch plugged into that, which you then wire CAT5/CAT6 cable throughout the house to each room.

Of course, all that takes a bit of room up, with both boxes & 8 cables coming into the same place.

Or you can use a wireless router from a single point.
However a wired connection is faster & less prone to interference.

In general, your internet connection works better from the master socket than it does on extensions.

Once setup, it is far easier to use (plug our laptop in etc) the internet in any room than it is with ADSL plates in each room, as you'll have to unplug the modem/router & move it every time if not.

I'm not sure if they do phone & RJ45 mixed plates, but I did it with putting an RJ45 plate in each room as well as a phone socket.

Over the weekend a friend ripped out the previous owner's wiring to 3 ADSL sockets and 4 phone sockets each with micro filter. He replaced it with NTE face plate splitter ( rear upstairs room ) and dedicated cable to the two ADSL sockets ( ground floor front office room and spare bedroom daisy chained ) and separate cabling to phone sockets in several rooms, wires 2 3 and 5 allowing use of bell wire.

Increase in Broadband speed was noticable, so far measurements suggest almost double the previous speed.

You want to run CAT5e to all rooms where you want telephone/internet/network. Then just install an NTE5 with filtered faceplate next to the patch panel, plug your modem/router in here and distribute to the various sockets via the routers built in Ethernet ports or uplink the router to a switch and then patch accordingly. For the phones use patch kits like these :-

http://www.bttorj45.com/shop2.php?id=1

That way any socket in the house can become a phone extension or network(ADSL) point.

The best way is to run ca5e to every room. I would run two cables to every room and have double cat5e faceplates. So you can have a phone and also be able to connect to the network/internet as well.

thanks mattylad
thats what i thought to do just going to run cat6 and bt to every room in the house so 8/9 seperate points .
thanks guys any thing else i should wire for ive got all the inside elctrics to do aswell ring main/lights/outside lights/cctv/swapping the pyronix sterling 10 alarm for a better one i want swipe cards .lol.cool.speakers in all rooms any help would be greatfully recieved is there any books to get to help :D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back