old flaking paint lining paper query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have stripped wall paper back and am planning on painting directly onto the walls after repairing cracks and dinks etc.

There is some flaking paint coming off in various patches on the walls. It appears the walls are brown plaster with a white coating ontop (which seems fine) then on top of the white is a yellowish brown colour which is the flaking layer. There is also another wall where the plaster appears to be white and the coat on that is the same as described.

I have tried a few experiments this evening, I have painted a mist coat of emulsion over one area, and I have applied a thick brushed layer to another to see it can simlpy be covered up, as I dont fancy sanding every inch of wall in the lounge.

Any ideas what would sort this out.

Thanks in advance.

rob

Sponsored Links
haha, i was hoping that wouldnt be the answer.

Im not keen and would prefer not too.

Any other suggestions.

Or is it lining paper or sanding the lot the only answer :(

Bob,

There is what are called basecoats such as Polycell 3 in 1 that you may wish to take a look at, yet I dont myself care for their use. Another thing that is of importance here is to wash off any paste residue before painting.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I did give them all a wash with a sponge after I stripped it. I have been over the lot and filled it and run a bit of sandpaper over the lot to key it all up. I might have a look at a base coat but hav reservations about that stuff to. I have just checked the areas I put a thick coat of pain on. I reckon with a bit of sanding It may be enough to level it out. Finger crossed, job for the morning sorted then hehe.

Thanks for your advice I'll let you know hoe it ends up hehe.

Rob

It didnt look great :( nothing ventured, nothing gained...

I'm now thinking that lining paper is going to be the way forward.

I've hung wall paper a good few times in the past and would say im not to bad at hanging it. But.... With lining paper. No matter how perfect I have done it I have never been able to achieve a seamless look to the wall...

Is there a way of filling or smoothing out the joins in the lining paper?

should I use 800, 1000 or 1700 guage paper? The walls are in good condition and the holes are all filled and smooth.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

i usually use 1200, you may benefit from a non woven paper like Mav as these dont shrink or stretch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back