Old Hardro Slates - sales tactic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a neighbour, who has a new roof fitted, after being told the old hardro slates on his roof would become porous after being on there for 50 years.

i know some can have fine cracks over time but can these concrete type slates become porous yet look solid and waterproof?

Sponsored Links
Neighbour completely tucked up there

No way would there be any issue with them if they are not broken and local trading officers should be contacted to make them aware of who is carrying out this sharp practice!

thanks for the reply, thought it sounded iffy!
yep i'll mention it to the trading standards.

No cracks datarebal, he told him the concrete (granolithic mortar? )itself would actually go porus without the need for cracks and the tile would look solid. "the water passes through like a sponge" ..lol

Sponsored Links
You said they were slates in your first post. now they are concrete tile's if that is the case then 40 years is average lifespan.

You said they were slates in your first post. now they are concrete tile's if that is the case then 40 years is average lifespan.

Catlad, it is somewhat accurate to call them slates as that is what Anchor / Forticrete have always called them, they are laid the same way as slates and have no nibs (hung on the battens with the nail).

The actual warranty period for the slates is 30 years but they should last a damn sight longer than that

SurreyRoofingEstimator is correct about forticrete's terminology and how theyre fitted, my point is the behaviour of the material (concrete)theyre made of, loosing their waterproof properties without being damaged or having any faults. i know walls can suffer from damp. is the 30 years guarantee for the same thing with the tiles?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back