Old, Leaking TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a small radiator which is leaking slightly at the TRV. How easy are they to change myself ? The radiator itself has always seemed to have accumalated air in it (only one in the house that does) which may be associated with the deterioration of this valve (or maybe not, im no expert).

The valve itself seems to open and close OK as I can turn the radiator on and off with it, it just leaks.

Any advice that could be given would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Very easy to change yourself, how much work involved will depend on if it is upstairs or down stairs rad and if the old valve tail comes out from the rad easily. You have not said what part is leaking?

You have to freeze, or drain, or bung the system air inlet points and hope the water doesn't fall out.

Where exactly is it leaking from.?

Sorry for the lack of info :)

It is an upstairs rad which is leaking from the TRV itself, or so it appears. When I turn TRV to open / close it, it leaks water from under the plastic cover (the bit you turn). Sorry if this is basic stuff hehe, hope you get the idea.

It is an old house (ex council house with back boiler in the living room). The CH system etc is all in need of updating / renewing but I just can not afford to get it done at the moment.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
You have to freeze, or drain, or bung the system air inlet points and hope the water doesn't fall out.

As Chris says above, cheapest way is to bung air inlet points, of if you're not comfortable with this drain down upstairs rads.

gas4you said:
ChrisR said:

As Chris says above, cheapest way is to bung air inlet points, of if you're not comfortable with this drain down upstairs rads.

To be honest, ill have a go at most things :D

How do i find the air inlet points though ?

gas4you said:
Open vent on the f&e tank in loft ;)

:D of course hehe. I know where that is, the tank at least :)

Ill have a look at it tomorrow if I can get a new TRV and let you know how it goes.

Suppose best thing is some form of bucket / clothes etc on the floor to catch water from radiator as I assume that will poor out when I undo TRV.

Also, do you think that TRV could have been the cause of the air I get in that rad. Ive got in the habit of bleeding it pretty much every week when the heating is in use. It doesn't get masses of air in it, just a bit.

Most heating systems have one rad that gets more air than most. Could be another problem that is causing air to be created. Lets do one thing at a time.

Shouldn't be too much water come out, thats the point of bunging the open vent. No air allowed in, no water (or very little) can come out. But be prepared just in case :rolleyes:

You have to bung the outlet from the f&e tank as well!!
If it's upstairs, it's probably easier to turn off the other upstairs rads so they don't drain, then open a downstairs drain cock.
Yes you do have to drain at least SOME of the one rad with a cat litter tray or similar.
Refilling can be a problem if you're unlucky.

ChrisR said:
You have to bung the outlet from the f&e tank as well!!

I was assuming that you would have a gate valve in the cold feed that you would have turned off first. Silly me, making assumptions, should spell it out each time ;)

Oh well, here goes nothing :D

Knowing my luck it will all go horribly wrong and ill end up with no heating. Although at least its not the middle of winter.

*EDIT*
Well, job done. Drained it from downstairs in the end which was easy enough. Changed the valve and refilled, have bled all the radiators at the moment and all are bleeding water (is that a good sign?). I assume there is a possibility of air in the pipes somewhere and also assume that won't become apparent until you try and use the CH system ?

Thanks for the info and help everyone, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back