Old soakaway does not empty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house is about 250years old. Rainwater goes into a chamber which is close to the rear of the house and at least 4 metres deep and about 3m by 2m. After four years in the house the chamber was full to overflowing so we had it pumped out. After three days the water depth has risen by about one meter. It has not rained.
Any ideas what is the cause of the water inflow and what to do?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Given the age of the property, built before public water supplies were common, was the chamber the rainwater runs into originally intended for disposal of waste water, or as a well for domestic water?

Given the age of the property, built before public water supplies were common, was the chamber the rainwater runs into originally intended for disposal of waste water, or as a well for domestic water?

I do not know, the visible part I can see - about 2 metres - has concrete sides so I suppose it may have been a well - the house is an old farmhouse and this chamber - which is vertical and goes down at least 4 metres - may have been a well I suppose but is now a soakaway for rain water.
We live to the west of Cardiif on the edge of The Vale of Glamorgan which is quite rural.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back