Old thermostat not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, looking for some advice.

I have an older style Sabre boiler and an old 'Acl' thermostat in the hall.
(see pics) The thermostat has never worked since I moved in a year ago and does not power up.

I removed it and have attached photos of the wiring. Looking to see what thermostat is best to replace it with, looking for something cheap that will do the job...preferably a digital one but don't know what would be compatible.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20231017_141234_remastered.jpg
    20231017_141234_remastered.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 20231017_141123.jpg
    20231017_141123.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20231015_110029.jpg
    20231015_110029.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
I know nothing about Sabre boilers, so there are three ways to control the boiler output in general.
1) The return water temperature.
2) Digital control i.e. on/off.
3) Analogue control i.e. up/down.
Analogue is the best, but not all boilers can use analogue wall thermostats, but using the return water temperature is also analogue control, so the TRV's can control the boiler output.

However there is a problem using TRV's, they can't turn whole boiler off when not required, it will cycle on/off at lowest output all summer with just TRV control, so we want some automated system to turn the whole boiler off when all rooms are satisfied.

So we still need that wall thermostat, set at the upper end of the range of the TRV in same room, so on a warm day it will switch off.

However I don't want house same temperature throughout the day, so I want a programmable thermostat both the wall and TRV head, but now the nitty gritty how much do you want to pay, some thing like the Honeywell EvoHome or Drayton Wiser will clearly give you full control. But a wired on/off programmable thermostat powered by a pair of batteries will cost around £35. And no question they will work, but to set the lock shield valves and TRV head with the wall thermostat is not easy.

My TRV head shows current and target temperature 1697555710444.pngcurrent it says is 20.3ºC hard to read on picture, but I can use the two readings to set the lock shield valve, I used a thermostat like this ae235.jpgfor years, it cost around £35, powered by battery simple on/off. But tried cheap wireless and it lost the RF link, and was a real pain, so once you go to wireless, the cost jumps to around £125 to get one which will fail safe.

We are seeing some really cheap thermostats on the web 1697556502602.png as to how good I don't know. £26 is darn cheap, as to how good they are not a clue, is it worth taking a chance?

Hi @martin_2442 As you can see, our friend @ericmark loves to throw in a few thousand words and a couple of curved balls. I bet you are more confused than you started with? He loves to throw in spurious stuff about controlling TRV valves (that you don't have), modulation, OpenTherm and other stuff.

Your old thermostat, like most is a simple switch. There should be a diagram inside the ACLfront cover. Can we see that?
Obviously a simple thermostat will probably do.

Questions:
Do you already have something that controls on/off times?
If you went "digital" what do you want it to do? Obviously these can control times, some can be controlled over wifi, integrate with smart speakers, allow you to turn the heating on from your sunbed in Turkey......

Thank you all for your replies. I have attached a photo of the inside of the case. The only reason I am thinking digital is to have an accurate temperature reading. Not looking to spend a fortune on a hive system at the moment...simply something that's works for now!

Attachments

• 20231017_184352.jpg
    20231017_184352.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20231017_184406.jpg
    20231017_184406.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
There are only 2 wires (plus earth) to your 'stat, you don't have a neutral.

If you want to keep things simple, cheap and don't want to change the wiring, you could replace it with a simple dial stat...

Alternatively, you could have a battery operated digital stat. Something like...

Or for a 'smart' experience, you could try a Nest Thermostat E.

Other choices are available!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back