Old threads should they be deleted after a year?

To answer the initial question, absobloodylutly not !!

Old threads contain very valuable answers to old questions asked.
There are forum addons that enable old threads to require mod approval before they can be replied to, this forum may just need it enabling or adding.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I think most of us who have commented have agreed with that.

Indeed. Ironically, if I'm not mistaken, there speaks the man who still only has the 2008 version of BS7671 to refer to ;)

Kind Regards, John
No you are not mistaken, I only have the 2008 version.

Would it be better to lock threads after one, two or three years? The thread would remain, but it would be impossible to post on a locked thread. This would stop old threads suddenly appearing at the top of the list.
Indeed - I've suggested that in the past, but didn't get much support for the idea.

If one has good reason to re-open such a locked thread, one can still copy/past material from it - or even provide a link to it, in a new thread.

Kind Regards, John

No you are not mistaken, I only have the 2008 version.
Fair enough, but it wasn't actually you I was talking about!!!

- rather it was the person who felt that posts should be removed after a year because they could say misleading things if they related to 'old versions' of the regulations ... something which I would have thought was at least as possible in a post written today by someone who only had a 15 year-old set of regs to look at :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
HEck, a lot of us DIY'rs don't have the latest regs either.
Nothing to worry bout, dave down the pub tells us how to do t'lectricery.

HEck, a lot of us DIY'rs don't have the latest regs either.
I'm sure that's true. Many don't have any version of 'the regs', and if they have anything, rely on things like the OSG - which can sometimes be unnecessarily 'restrictive'.

I personally do try to keep fairly up-to-date, but sometimes abit late. The most recent 'version of the regs' (AMD 2) didn't really change much - maybe one of the most 'interesting' being that it's now 'allowed' to use 1.0mm cable for 'pwer circuits' (if its CSA is adequate for the circuit).
Nothing to worry bout, dave down the pub tells us how to do t'lectricery.
.... and he may, or may not, be a good source of correct information and advice on that subject ;)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back