one for the scientists to chew over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the freezing point of water was lower, say -3 degrees rather than 0 degrees, what would be the effect on our weather the ice caps etc. Ie would we have had all the snow last week?

(well im trying noseall!)

Sponsored Links
If the freezing point of water was lower, say -3 degrees rather than 0 degrees, what would be the effect on our weather the ice caps etc. Ie would we have had all the snow last week?

errr... no! Plus there would be considerably less landmass - surely.

Am i missing a point here?

In old money it's 32F

we`d set our roomstats @ 17c :idea:

Sponsored Links

errr... no! Plus there would be considerably less landmass - surely.

Am i missing a point here?

dont know. Not a trick question, more one to ponder as it just popped into my head (as things are prone to do!)

water was used to set the scale.. ( well one scale of many.. )
0 being when it froze and 100 when it boiled..

and that's pure water ( ie H2O and nothing else.. )
the addition of pollutants does indeed lower the freezing point, which is why slat works.

that's also at sea level as air pressure affects the boiling point ( not sure about freezing point though... )

as a side note, water is at it's densest at 4°C.. either side of that and it expands.. which is why ice floats..

yes?
as a standard. 1Kg of water @4c occupies 1Lt 1000cm2 its a defined standard.

To answer the original question,
As temperatures were around -8 to -5 for a while then yes we would have had all the snow, but it would have melted quicker and some of the latter snow would have fell as rain.

Do I get a prize for answering correctly? :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back