one last question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( hi

at the weekend i was trying to fit a new light we have bought in our dining room.The exsisting conection was a ceiling rose however this new fitting fits flush to the ceiling (sorry dont know terminology.) i have striped the ceiling rose away leaving 3 wires :eek: consisting of red-loop, black neutral, earth green and yellow. the light fitting has a terminal for earth,live and neutral. So basically can anyone tell me how to fit this light as it is getting dangerously close to xmas.

thanks in advance and merry christmas

Sponsored Links
You need to replicate the ceiling rose - some how, if the hole where the wires come from is big enough I would use a small junction box, and push this into the the hole, if not you will have to use choc blocks, I tend to split the block up for each set of wires, then you can wrap insulation tape around them individually, also it tends to be easier to get the light fitting flush, just be carefull not to trap any wires, or worse put a screw through them when you a fitting the light to the ceiling.

You should end up with:
A block for the Loop (usually 3 red wires)
A block for the Neutrals (usually 2 black wires + 1 blue for the flex to the light)
A block for the switched live (1 red or (black wire with red sleeving) + 1 brown flex to the light)
A block for the earth. - If it is a metal fitting ensure an earth is conneted :!:

:oops: sorry i dont understand what you mean and ive looked at for reference and am confused by that also.

Are you saying that all the wires (9 in total) wont be used for my new fitting and i need to "blank" the redundant wires off?

Sponsored Links
henryb1 said:
:oops: sorry i dont understand what you mean and ive looked at for reference and am confused by that also.

Are you saying that all the wires (9 in total) wont be used for my new fitting and i need to "blank" the redundant wires off?

Who's saying you need to blank the redundant wires??

jenki said:
You should end up with:
A block for the Loop (usually 3 red wires)
A block for the Neutrals (usually 2 black wires + 1 blue for the flex to the light)
A block for the switched live (1 red or (black wire with red sleeving) + 1 brown flex to the light)
A block for the earth. - If it is a metal fitting ensure an earth is connected

3 + 2 + 1 = 6 + (3 for the earth) = 9

When you took off the rose there will have been 3 reds connected in the centre, this is the loop, and need to remain connected together.

then there was one Black wire connected to the blue wire leading to the bulb, this wire needs connecting to your fitting 'N'

the last wire either a red wire (or black wire with red sleeve), which was connected to a brown wire leading to the bulb, needs to be connected to your fitting 'L'

finally all the earths (with green / yellow sleeves) need connecting to your fitting 'E', if the 3 grey wires are not long enough to reach your fitting then you can use choc blocks to extend the Neutral (black), and switched live.

Likewise if you cannot get the earth wires to the fitting then use a choc block and an additional wire.

Ensure all earths have green / yellow sleeving, and the Switch wire has red sleeving or red tape on it.

sorrry didnt read it properly!

are choc blocks the same as terminal blocks?

This is a chock-block:

TLCON15.jpg

Would this work?

(from mains)
live switch--------loop------------earth----------------Neutral from lights
/ /----------------- / / -------------- / / ----------------- / / (choc block)
live -----------------------------------earth --------------- Neutral
(from fitting)

Thanks in advance[/url][/code]

henryb1 said:
Would this work?

(from mains)
live switch--------loop------------earth----------------Neutral from lights
/ /----------------- / / -------------- / / ----------------- / / (choc block)
live -----------------------------------earth --------------- Neutral
(from fitting)

Thanks in advance[/url][/code]

This is what you need to replicate! instead of the brass terminals in the rose use choc blocks - and add an earth to the fitting - does this help :?:
ceiling_rose.gif

yes it does help.

just wanted to be sure i totally understood before messing electricity

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back