only a quickie...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to answer a question set to me earlier today...
am I right in stating that you can spur off a spur?
how you ask and why!!
boiler spurred off the ring mains on a 3A FCU.
intentions are to spur off this FCU to feed a 60watt light fitting in an adjacent room.
Options:
Do you feed directly off the 3A FCU (boiler) direct to the light
Do you incorporate another 3A FCU after the boiler and then to the light
Do you fuse the whole lot at 13A prior to both 3A FCU's...
cheers chaps

Sponsored Links
If you really had to do it this way then I would spur a 13A FCU off the ring then off the load side I would supply two more FCU's (fused at 3A) one for the boiler and one for the light fitting.

GaryMo said:
If you really had to do it this way then I would spur a 13A FCU off the ring then off the load side I would supply two more FCU's (fused at 3A) one for the boiler and one for the light fitting.

cheers dude, i suggested to the geezer to spur direct from the mains with a 3A FCU and then to the light, but that wasn't an option. He has access to the boiler supply and thats about all. Thanks for the advice chap. ;)

oh oh oh
If I can squeeze in one more for my own info..
if the first 3A FCU was part of the ring, i.e. 2 x 2.5mm cables entering it and one leaving the load side to the boiler, what would be course of action then?? Do we still need the 13A FCU or is this a case of another 3A FCU directly after the boiler from the load side to the light fitting??

edit: load = x
supply = :D

Sponsored Links
You can take an unfused spur from the ring to supply one point. If as in your example above the FCU is on the ring then you may spur another FCU from the ring from the supply side of the boiler FCU.

Just seen your edit.....

If the boiler FCU is on the ringmain (more to it than just seeing 2 x live and neutrals on the feed side) then you can spur a second FCU off it for the light fitting you mention.

If the boiler FCI is in fact a spur off the ringmain (1 x live and neutral on the feed side) then you need to use this to supply 2 more FCU's, one for the boiler and one for the light fitting.

GaryMo said:
Just seen your edit.....

If the boiler FCU is on the ringmain (more to it than just seeing 2 x live and neutrals on the feed side) then you can spur a second FCU off it for the light fitting you mention.

If the boiler FCI is in fact a spur off the ringmain (1 x live and neutral on the feed side) then you need to use this to supply 2 more FCU's, one for the boiler and one for the light fitting.

crystal mate.
cheers.

I said all that without moving my lips :LOL:

Yeah, I was trying to say if the boiler FCU was on the ring then an unfused spur can be taken from it. I think I got confused thinking boiler FCU = first FCU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back