Only trickle of water from hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps.

My hot tap would only let me get a trickle of water out of it and when I turned it on, it only turns about 90 degrees being tight shut at the beginning and end of the 90 degrees, peak flow of hot water occurring at approx 45 degrees of tap turn.

My friend's husband came round and put a new washer on it for me, and the hot tap dripped (he said the washer was a bit too small) but the hot tap worked for about 3wks. Now the hot tap drips, and the tap is also behaving as it was before, that is getting tight after a 90 degree turn and peak trickle happening at 45 degrees. this peak trickle also decreases in size to nothing.

I am in rented accommodation and my landlord is not great on repairs and I think the taps are from the 1980's.

Have my taps worn out, do I need new taps or is this a plumbing problem

Thanks for any help or advice.

Barbs

Sponsored Links
Just sounds like the spindle on the inside of the tap is stuck down it hexagonal shape and when opened to far doesn't always sit back in its housing properley

sime10 said:
Just sounds like the spindle on the inside of the tap is stuck down it hexagonal shape and when opened to far doesn't always sit back in its housing properley

i would still change em

but them I am made of cash, you can hear me rustle as i walk ;)

Sponsored Links
I f I was called to a job with this problem I would rather repair than replace Its an easy job that takes less time than changing the taps and ok not a full charge but enough give me 10 of those a day

And no gestapo corgi to answer too

I am in rented accommodation and my landlord is not great on repairs and I think the taps are from the 1980's.

Let the landlord sort it its not up to you don't pay the rent till its sorted :eek:

Thanks for the advice, being as my landlord is not good on repairs would you be able to advise me as to the tools I would require for taking off the tap and replacing it, or the process involved with sorting the spindle out. :?:

I tried to take the tap apart but didnt get very far as I do not have any spanners and could'nt move the nut with my glass breaking pliers.

Thanks again for any help or advice.

Barbs

Tell him to pay someone Not being nasty or anything but If I have to explain what tools you need is it really worth you trying it?
;)

Hi Peeps,

Cheers for advice. I have had a friend of a friend who is a plumber come round today and he has got my hot water on but has told me that I need to replace the taps long term as they are worn out and what he has done is a temporary measure. With the landlord being the way he is I feel more confident with approaching him and telling him the taps need replacing because a professional plumber has told me that.

Thanks once again.

Barbs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back