Open Rodding Eye in sewer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The sewer for my house runs from the back of the house, to the main sewer in the road at the front of the house (as you would expect). The end of the sewer at the back of the house comes out in a sandstone wall, and isn't sealed - rather, there is a metal "hood" over it, to stop stuff falling in it - but other than that it's open, and you can just push drain rods for example, straight in.

Does that sound right? Should the end rodding eye be open? Or should it be sealed? It smells a bit, and also, when you put a large volume of water down the kitchen sink (eg hot and cold tops on full together), or dump a bucket of water down the kitchen drain (which is right at the end of the sewer, just after the rodding eye), some water trickles out of the open rodding eye (I assume because it can't drain away down the sewer fast enough, so temporarily rises) - so it doesn't seem the best arrangement.

Should I look at putting a proper cap over the end of the rodding eye, so it doesnt a) smell and b) leak?!

All advice appreciated.

Adam

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I thought as much. Pictures below - you can see the "hood" coming out the wall, but under the hood you can get straight to the sewer.

I suspect I will have to lift the flags on top of the wall to get to it, and try and fit a proper sealed rodding eye cover...

[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back