Opening a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to open up a fireplace that was filled in some years ago in an old farmhouse and on an old copy of estate agents details was described as a low grate hearth with brick surround.
Can anyone please give me any suggestions as to how to go about this?

Sponsored Links
use the estate agent`s paper to light the fire..that`s about all their comments are worth :LOL: It`s all gone probably before the opening was bricked up :cry:

I am sure the surround and hearth have gone but the opening and chimney
must be still there.

Sponsored Links
depends what sort of effect you want really. you can buy a standard fire back either 16or 18 inch i think from builders merchants which would be bricked into the apeture, this would have been used as a standard for most coal burners. they used to build the chimney breast with a large linteled opening, which left the way for any type of fire to be installed within i.e. iron grate, standard fire back, dog basket etc. do you want a real flame fire or a decorative adams style??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back