Opening up driveway to accommodate 2 cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a driveway that's pretty narrow, 11ft from memory, where i currently park 1 car.
Its on a single track road and basically leads to my garden, at a depth of 25-30ft or so, so the car is about 8ft from the road.
I want to open up this driveway to allow 2 cars to park next to each other, so increase the width to 22ft or so.
I want this as if i were to leave it and park 2 cars in line into the garden, it would take a lot more of the garden space.

What regulations or permissions would i need, if any to do this?

Many thanks,
Stuar

Sponsored Links
If you are altering the width of the vehicular access, and if the road is a public road you woulld need p.p.

Sponsored Links
dont forget if you cover an area the water from that area must drain onto your land and not into the drains or onto the public highway

depending on the total area involved, and the materials / drainage involved then you may be able to carry out the work under permitted development rights.

there are situations where your propertys permitted development rights may be altered or removed, so you should check you have these intact (contact local authority in first instance).

otherwise, hard standings are subject to planning permission.

separate permission may be needed from the local highways dep if you want to widen the dropped kerb.

separate permission may be needed from the local highways dep if you want to widen the dropped kerb.

Wouldn't this be dealt with through the planning application process itself? Presumably the planning officer would have to consult highways anyway before coming to a decision?

thats one less hassle as there is no kerb being a rural 1 lane country road :)

Its just a bank that about 2-3 foot tall.

The homeowner will need to deal with highways and pay their fee.

Agreed; it's just that luis wrote that permission would be required from highways, suggesting that it was a two-stage process. Clearly Op would need to speak with highways, but only to get the job done, not to seek their permission in principle.

I would think that on a 1 lane country road nobody will give a dam, it will also provide an additional passing place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back