Opening windows jammed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom window would not open this morning. The handle only turns through 45 degrees now rather that the normal 90degrees. It seems to me that the locking bolt in the bottom right corner is stuck as if i press both bottom corners the left moves a bit, the right not at all.
I want to get this open again as the condensation is building up.
How can I get the window out or open?
I know how to dismantle the lock and repair / replace once its open.
ANy help would be appreciated.

Here are some photos of the offending window

Image014.jpg

Handle in the fully open position - note window will not open
Image015.jpg

Handle closed as far as currenlty possible
Image016.jpg

Sponsored Links
Undo the screws from the handle then you should be able unlock the window carefully with a screwdriver depending on the type you have, most common problem are the splindle worn out

Thanks for the advice, I have just given it a try.
Unfortunately, no luck though.
The spindle looks OK and turning with a screwdriver gives the same result too. It is certainly locked on one side only when 'open' and on both sides when closed.

Any more ideas?

I think I know the type you have, can you take a photo of the splindle without the handle?

I'm guessing one bar is longer than other which need to be adjusted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help.
I have taken the image you requested along with some of another window with an idential mechanism.

Jammed window without handle - not a very good image, but the square pin on the handle engages with the square hole in the window. Neither pin or hole are rounded or broken.
Image022.jpg

Another window with the same mechanism
Image036.jpg

Image037.jpg

Image039.jpg

Hi,

Afraid I can't be of any help here but I'm following this topic now as I have exactly the same problem as diy_dude on a very similar window mechanism: turning the handle to the open position on our window frees the top of the window but the bottom is definitely still shut. Turning to closed position latches the top as well.

I don't see any way to gain access to any of the parts that may be broken or loose, since I can't get the window open. :(

Edit: a similar case came up in search:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=618283

it is likely that the shoot bolt (seen in the last pic) has become detatched from the gearbox (where the handle screws into) they are a pain in the ass to get open! sometimes it's possible to de-glaze the window, then with the palm of your hand 'bump' the window, sometimes this will work the stuck shoot bolt loose, if it dosen't then you'll have to drill down in where the glass usually sits right through till you get to the metal slider, and try and lever the shootbolt out with a screwdriver. then its a case of either getting a new locking mechanism or if it isnt damaged refit the ld one and add a bit of lock-tite should stop it coming out again.

Thanks, derv1980. Looks as though this is going to be relatively annoying to fix, but it's good to have the benefit of others' experience. We'll probably get someone who knows what they're doing in to deal with it, now that I know I've gone as far as my screwdrivers can take me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back