Opinion on re-roofing quote please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I was hoping you guys could give me the benefit of your experience on a quote I received for a re-roof on my 1900s 4 bed semi-detached property.

It's more than I was hoping to spend by a considerable margin... we're getting more quotes in but what do you think overall? I was thinking around 15k, am I just being unrealistic?

I'm in Fife in Scotland.

Thanks

- Establish safe working area.
- Scaffold.
- Remove existing clay ridges (Lay aside for reuse)
- Strip off existing slate roof covering & dispose off site
- Clean back to the sarking boards and re-nail/ replace rotten boards (quote allows for 10 M2)
- Supply and fix breathable membrane (Proctor Roofshield)
- Remove all valleys & side flashing
- Supply and fit new code 5 lead valleys & side flashings (Treated lead with patination oil)
- Supply and fit new dry verge system to all verges
- Re-Slate using best quality Spanish 16 x 10 slates (Double nailed with 50mm copper nails)
- Re-Ridge using laid aside clay ridges & making up difference with clay ridge from our stock
- Renew zinc flat roof at front dormer with a new 3 layer bituminous felt system
- Re-point gable chimney using lime mortar & re-haunch chimney pots

TOTAL: £28,000 (Including VAT @20%)

Sponsored Links
Ah sorry, that info would have helped, the quote doesn't actually have sizing on it.

The house footprint is around 90m2.

It's a hip and valley roof. There's a pitched roof kitchen extension at the back and a front dormer with flat roof as noted in the quote.

Sponsored Links
Apologies if these are absolutely no use whatsoever, but here are some ground level shots from front, back and side (I have none of the roof itself).

Thanks for taking the time to look!

DSC_0046.JPG DSC_0047.JPG DSC_0045.JPG DSC_0044.JPG

Why do you want to re-new the roofing?
Its hard to figure out where your house ends esp at the rear?
How many dormers and chimney stacks do you have?
Is the front porch roof included?

On the face of it, your slate roofing looks to be in good condition - patches of uneven or tipped slates, sand & cement fillets instead of lead abutment flashings, & a lost cause of barge boards.
Nothing is said in the quote about fascias or roof insulation or rainwater goods.
What about the cheeks on the dormers and the front dormer looking pretty rough?

The original slates should be in good condition with only a few needing replacement - if you have heavy thick slates then they might be worth more second hand than the proposed new Spanish replacements.

Also, the use of expensive copper nails with cheap slates seems an odd one on the part of the roofer.

Thanks for the replies. I'll answer what I can.

- We were looking at re-roofing as the roofing company told us the roof is 'at the end of its useful life'
- We called them in originally as there was a leak coming through one of the window frames in a bedroom at the rear
- 3 chimney stacks, only the one at the gable is open and in use
- 4 dormers
- The porch roof seems to have been done more recently so is not included

Very interesting to hear re selling the existing Welsh slates and the use of copper nails, it's not filling me with confidence!

Thanks for the replies. I'll answer what I can.

the roofing company told us the roof is 'at the end of its useful life':eek:
-
I don't know if you watch Coronation Street up there but you've had a Pat Phelan done to you. Coming to this forum could save you £thousands.

if you have heavy thick slates then they might be worth more second hand than the proposed new Spanish replacements.
Some cowboy roofers will take the Welsh slates of the roof and replace with cheap ones. They then sell the Welsh slates to other customers or other cowboys. The very bad cowboys might even charge you for the disposal of the "waste" slates.

Wow, this is great info - thanks again.

Had another roofer come round and he said the Welsh slate would last a lifetime and we should just fix the leak, spot repair where necessary and look into the condition of the timber (I presume at the eaves but I wasn't in).

He's going to pop a quote through the door next week.

Must admit I had to Google Pat Phelan, but that's definitely the sort of thing we want to avoid!

£28k? Stack me! I just fell over! You could build a single storey extension for that!

Forget them, get some more quotes.

Thankyou everyone, this has been most helpful.

We've decided to go down the road of maintaining the existing roof, we'll gather a variety of quotes.

As Vinn mentioned nothing about upgrading the insulation, especially in a house like yours shows they are not interested in roofing only ripping you off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back