Opinions on this house...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding a house we have just been to look at and are interested in buying, however the brickwork looks a bit dodgy! Ive attached a photo so you can see what I mean, some of the bricks look to be newer. Also it has had a kitchen extention so I was also looking for opinions on whether this looks like it has been done properly?

many thanks!
Dave

house.jpg

Sponsored Links
It has had French doors fitted hence the back door being bricked up behind the planter on the wall but it has been bonded in in places so in no danger of falling down or anything. It is a little patchy and untidy elsewhere but it is not unusual to see after alterations to windows, doors and pipework etc. The kitchen is also toothed in and to be fair it could have been done better but is acceptable. A structural survey and also a look at any Building Certs re. the extension will help.

I'd pretty much agree with DAZB, the work looks scruffy but tied in. Pity who ever did it didn't take a little more care. The extention toothed in is a bit agricultural & could certainly have been done better.

You clearly have a concern so therefore you really need to get professional survey work done for your own peace of mind, if your going to part with house buying money make sure you have come back should things go wrong.

If there are problems then think carefully, if in doubt simply walk away and looking elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
I have to say that if ever there was a wall that would look better rendered...... :p

Mechanically speaking the wall looks as though it is behaving itself but i would hazard a guess that the flat roof extension is neither adequately insulated or ventilated.

As Daz said, a look at the Building Certs is required. Depending on the date of the extension and local conditions, but rain water from the extension is going into the foul drains.

Poor quality brickwork often indicates a generally poor construction throughout.

My two pennyworth - bearing in mind I`m not a builder , more a building maintainer - Those plastic wood effect ? windows look to me like they were chucked in as part of a refurb to sell in the " booming `80s". Did I mention I`m a cynic too ;)

thanks for all the help guys, i think we might avoid this one.

i think im going to be coming on here for advice quite a lot from now! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back