Optima flashing strobe light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House is 10 years old with optima 3 alarm fitted from new. Hardly used the alarm, not had any problems until last week. The AC power went off for 10 mins for substation work. The alarm went off during power down, after power returned we reset it OK except that the strobe light is now flashing permanently. The control panel appears to be working as per manual.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Power failure for 10min should not cause an alarm condition. Has the panel got a battery in it?
Having said that, if it's 10 years old, the battery will be well due for replacement.

Thanks SNM

I will check battery. Ours was one of two on the estate to sound the alarm during power out, all the rest were ok.

When the substations come back online they do so with a bang - if you don't have a good battery to cushion that bang then it will often do irreparable damage to the microprocessor.

Did you try setting it and unsetting it?

If that doesn't work you'll have to downpower and reboot.

Still it's an old panel anyway - bin it if it doesn't work.

Daisy Tolstoy will be along shortly with her latest novel.

Sponsored Links
Hi dm,

Enter your code at the keypad or panel ( whichever it is for this unit ) and press the Reset button twice. That should cancel the strobe. you are looking for just two lights on board, Power and Day. If the unit does not accept your code try 0123 or 1234 (the default factory user code).

If both lights go out when you put in your code at any time, it means that you are attempting to set the panel, in this case input your code a second time to cancel.

After an alarm or fault condition, the external strobe with these units continues until you press the reset button twice.

If you have only had success with the default factory code, you can change this code as follows:-

1. Enter the default factory code (usually 0123) to get into day mode (just the Power and Day lights glowing.

2. Press the Prog button and then press 8.

3. Enter the default code (usually 0123) enter your new 4 digit code.

4. The unit should 'beep' twice to indicate it has accepted your new code.

If I have missed anything out, someone let me know. SNM and Joe have each offered good advice, it's usually due to a 'surge' when the power returns and the battery should be changed as soon as possible since a dead battery can cause damage to the panel and will not take over the system in the event of a power cut.

Thanks everyone.
The battery is goosed which explains why the alarm sounded with loss of power. I checked the battery voltage in the unit which appeared to be OK (13.6V) but I suspected that this was really the charge voltage. A quick check on the battery outside the unit with a load showed that its was well and truly dead.

Will now try with a new battery.

Hello dmjones01,

Yes, that was good advice to check and renew the battery,

If you have removed the battery, you can still carry out the above tests.

Take Care

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back