Out Of Plumb Wall & Missing Mortar

Argh, hadn't even thought about the drains under the floor! The pipes were already running under there on the way to an old outside toilet, but presumably should have been appropriately bridged when the concrete floor was laid. I guess no way of telling how well that's been done without taking some of it up?

Sponsored Links
And is there a manhole cover somewhere under the floor. Bridging (or not having been done) may be the least of your problems. Can the drains be rodded in the event of a problem. Go back to the planning application, and see what they did.

Not forgetting that improper use of unprotected cable outside....ought to be in conduit or of exterior grade, I would imagine (I'm no sparky)...might indicate further electrical issues???

And is there a manhole cover somewhere under the floor. Bridging (or not having been done) may be the least of your problems. Can the drains be rodded in the event of a problem. Go back to the planning application, and see what they did.

Looks like (hopefully) the pipework was redone. The manhole cover on the right image is there when we visited.

I should be getting the building inspector report at some point soon... should make for interesting reading.

Drain.png

Sponsored Links
If the extension has got final certificate, founds, drainage etc should have been inspected. Cert would not have been issued without electrical part P.

If you are unsure about drainage, you could get a cctv done.

The roof is poorly done and looks like its had a coat of roof sealer indicating its been leaking. The pipework could be tidied up and then it could be boxed in so just the vertical 110mm foul is visible and a proper boot fitted (its possible to obtain split boots for retrofitting).

It comes down to whether the vendors will drop by enough to give you enough of a safety margin to be confident you will have enough in hand to cover remedial work.The vendors will have to decide whether they think there is much liklehood of a buyer not seeing the faults and offering near the asking -which I think unlikely.

There is some risk in buying the property, not so much with what you can see but the risk of the unknown elements, like founds, steels, drains -you would need those elements checked.

So could the property have been previously bought with a half finished extension by the vendors who then finished it themselves badly?

Lots of people have bought new builds that look great and have even worse problems.

If you do buy the property, I have a feelibg you might be clocking up a few posts on here :)

I know a completion certificate was issued by council, and that it was signed off via a private firm.

What I can’t get my head around is how, given the issues shortly after. Those electrics for examples by the consumer unit are obviously wrong (unless that happened later!)

Would the private inspector have a report as such, or is it simply as yes/no - issue certificate. Would be helpful to see photos along the way, as well as comments. Something like “It’s a bit crap, but it passes” kind of thing...

I know a completion certificate was issued by council, and that it was signed off via a private firm.

What I can’t get my head around is how, given the issues shortly after. Those electrics for examples by the consumer unit are obviously wrong (unless that happened later!)

Would the private inspector have a report as such, or is it simply as yes/no - issue certificate. Would be helpful to see photos along the way, as well as comments. Something like “It’s a bit crap, but it passes” kind of thing...

Well as far as I understand, an electrician does the work for a new extension, he then has to test the circuits he has done right back to the board. The electrician will be a member of a body such as NICEIC, and he has to complete the paperwork which is submitted to them and the householder gets a copy to send to the building inspector -who isnt interested in doing any checks himself, he wants the paperwork or the extension wont get signed off.

The NICEIC do go out and check their menbers work, I cant see any registered electrician taking shortcuts, they wont be registered for long.

I just got my extension signed off and the BCO didn't bother with the sparks cert.

If you do buy the property, I have a feelibg you might be clocking up a few posts on here

He's got three post going already, and he hasn't even bought the place - we're in for trouble if he does.

He's got three post going already, and he hasn't even bought the place - we're in for trouble if he does.

Haha, didn't meant to spam up the boards. Thought be easier to have as 3 separate issues in the appropriate areas of the forum. :)

Looking at your other threads I'd walk away unless you really love the house and it's very cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back