Outdoor lighting rethink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my outside lights has sstopped working. This has prompted me to rethink the whole lot.

Below is a diagram of what I currently have installed.

gardenlighting.jpg

The light which is kaput is the photocell one. Its just got a small circuit board in it, which seem to combine the starting circuitry and the photocell business end. So I'm not looking to repair it.

The system I HAD working was that the photocell lamp works until about midnight (it had a built in timer). This allowed us to open the back door, and turn on the two halogens top and left, using the weatherproof switch below the photocell light.

But people kept turning off the photocell light in the house (which I think ultimately lead to its demise, frequent switching). So to clarify, the two halogens are fed from a WP JB on the house wall next to the window, and are switched outside the back door. The photocell light is fed from a switch in the kitchen. So now its pitch black when we open the back door (not good)

Now, due to recent incidents involving things being thrown over the shed onto the conservatory roof, I am wanting to put more of a security swing on this installation (if they want to throw things, they wont mind trespassing either, and I have a few valuable fish in the pond) - the shed light has a PIR, but this only lights the small area near the shed door. I'm thinking a wireless system would meet my requirements, controlling all the lights, but I dont know how reliable they are, and I dont know which lights to control with it. I dont want the whole garden lighting bringing up because a cat has wandered through. :LOL: I would also want an override, to keep the lights on (I have a dog who likes to lay in the grass late at night). I guess it complicates things that there's three sources of power here (though the light above the back door could be eliminated if a method to bring the lights up was installed indoors)

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Also, FYI, I have angled the lights downwards, such that the light only goes in mine and next doors garden (they dont mind this), and it certainly does not shine into anyone else's house.

Sponsored Links
Id consider replacing the halogen floodlights with SON floodlights on a photocell so they come on all night when its dark.
Probaly work out cheaper than wireless PIR system

Id consider replacing the halogen floodlights with SON floodlights on a photocell so they come on all night when its dark.
Probaly work out cheaper than wireless PIR system
I had considered SON or even metal halide lighting, but I need instant light for when I let the dog out late at night. So I think I'm going to add a single wired 180 degree PIR halfway down the garden, so as to cover all of it, and control the two TH lights with this, and keep the existing switch as an override (there is a SFCU indoors too for the whole setup, which I can switch off should it start over-activating!).

The light by the back door I am going to change for a single LED spot (a standard GU10 fitting with a 3 LED lamp), and add a photocell above it, and change the indoors switch for a keyswitch. I think this will work better.

why not have some son lighting on a photocell but also a 150W halogen on a seperate switch for the dog?

Sponsored Links
why not have some son lighting on a photocell but also a 150W halogen on a seperate switch for the dog?
I dont have any SON lighting, and dont want any. As I said above. I dont need a light burning constantly for the whole garden. And a 70w SON is brighter than a 150w halogen anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back