Outdoor wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the past 2 years I have built a patio and installed a pond. I need the following wiring up: 2 sets of patio lights; low-voltage in-pond lights; a fountain; a pond filter (external) and filter-pump (in-pond).

12 qualified electricians considered the job. Two declined; 5 said they'd come and price it, and didn't; five looked at it and gave me quotes, one of them 2 pages long. None of them returned my follow-up calls.

So I am thinking I can do it myself (if nothing else, I have learnt something from all those chin-rubbing sessions).

I would run everything from an existing 13 amp socket, through an RCD plug and a 5-gang switch. I understand that by running from the socket I am operating appliances rather than putting in a new installation, and will therefor be exempt from Local Authority inspection; not that I'm intending to do anything dangerous, but I can do without the hassle. Can I connect the single 3-core flex into the switch box and then split 5 ways within the box? The outside wiring is via pond flex either wall-mounted or run through plastic sleeving. The sleeving is either under paving or under 4 inches of stones along the line of gravel boards at the bottom of a fence. The stones will not be disturbed once the sleeving is in place.

Given all that water, and the external appliances, is the RCD sufficient protection? I don't want to discover a fried cat on the patio, or worse - that a friend idly running her hands through the water has been flung over the fence into next door's garden.

All suggestions, advice, warnings welcome.

FrankW

:(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back